Lenses will be the key for sony to push ahead in mirroless

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by sadwitch, Sep 29, 2011.

1. sadwitch

sadwitch TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    After reading so much about the new sensor particularly in nex5n... it got me interested, but like how m4/3 first started, the native lenses available now are not that appealing for enthusiasts yet. It's a different story now with m43rds as they have 12f2 14f2.5 20f1.7 25f1.4 45f1.8 all with favourable reviews. Nex native offerings are still a little too big for zooms and only 1 pancake with mixed reviews with nothing below F2 except for the $$$ CZ. If nex offer affordable fast wide angle pancake maybe 17mm 2.5, a normal pancake 35 F1.8 and a portrait pancake 60mm f2, i think it'll woo alot of enthusiasts in and enthusiasts will spread by word of mouth to coax people into nex even all they want is just the kit lens. Pentax already shown how small you can go with pancakes on APSC so i think nex should be actively developing these range of lenses if their goal is to lead in this segment.

How can anyone not drool with these lenses if they're on nex. :cool:

2. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    While the Ltd lenses are nice, none have built-in AF motors. The AF is driven by the Pentax DSLR bodies. I believe NEX lenses all have their own AF motors, which are more equivalent to the Pentax lenses with SDM motors. But fortunately, much more reliable than the SDM motors! If memory serves me correctly, none of the Pentax lenses with SDM are small. I used to have the SDM driven DA*55/1.4, which is pretty big for a prime lens, and it's bigger than the upcoming Zeiss 24/1.8.

But I do agree that it would be nice if Sony can make their lenses smaller.
  3. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    The NEX movement grows at a steady pace so Im thinking to give them some more time. Once the 7 will be a best-seller, then we could easily expect another range of lenses from SONY
  4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Interesting since I gave up on pentax DSLR and changed to NEX.

It's taken pentax 10 YEARS to NOT make a 24mm f2 wide-angle for APS-C......Sony NEX has one already, and a Zeiss design at that! It's all very well making weird lenses IF you can also offer the main focal lengths but pentax has chosen to ignore it's faithful customers

As regards the pentax 'pancake' lenses,...put them on an adaptor to fit NEX and see just how large they become. Also, pentax never backed up it's small lens range by devising a comparably small camera, so teh pancakes were arguably a wasted excercise in NEX terms. We are still waiting for pentax to even think about an APS mirrorless system. To take but one other lens spec, the 18 to 55 zoom which is common to both makes,.....the pentax item with NEX adaptor becomes virtually TWICE the size of the NEX version....

....We are going to see all kinds of lenses for NEX from several makers but I doubt that we will from, or for, pentax.
  5. sadwitch

sadwitch TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    I guess pentax faithfuls should love the weird focal lengths as no one else provides it.

I'm hope sony will develop more pancake or at least small sized lens to match the small body.

If the E mount is open standard then i believe third party makers will develop lenses once the nex bodies sales in the market is substantial.