Lenses to bring to Brussels

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by quezra, Nov 19, 2012.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I've got a business trip to Brussels tonight and I'll have Saturday to sightsee, and I'm in a dilemma what to bring. I have my 18-200 which I will definitely include, but what should I pair it with from my other lenses:

1) 24/2.8
    2) 28/2.0
    3) 50/1.8
    4) 55/1.2

I'm thinking the 28/2 or 50/1.8, the 55 is too precious to take on this journey I think, and the 24/2.8 not sufficiently differentiated from my 18-200 to be worth taking along? I wish I had the 35/1.8 would make the decision easy!
  2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The 18-200 pretty much covers any touristy shot imaginable. With regards to which prime to take, think about the kind of specialized pics you want to (or expect to) take. Are you into architectural shots, night shots, street photography, etc? The 50/1.8 will be fast enough for the dim and dark hours... but the 28/2.0 may or may not be wide enough for the street, depending on how comfortable you are getting up close and personal.
  3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I would go with the 18-200mm, is an all in one lens, for street photography the 50mm will suffice :)
  4. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    I guess it would be a mix of architecture and street. I may end up wasting all my time Christmas shopping I can't really tell. :( Thanks for reminding me about the darkness, over here in the tropics we don't worry about short daylight hours. :p I did bring the 18-200 and 50/1.8 on my last trip but didn't use the 50 much.
  5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    I went to Brugges with a 14-45 kit lens on a GX-1 last year, and to my surprise found myself (a short telephoto kinf of person would never uses wide !) CONSTANTLY shooting at 14mm (ok, longer on m4/3
    ) and wishing for wider. So for convenience and coverage sake, I'd take only the 18-200. If you want to stick with a prime, grab the 24.
  6. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks, I saw some pics and yes, I can imagine the 18mm struggling. Still that's as wide as I have so I'll have to go with it. Packed the 50 just for backup, though I might not use it a whole lot.
  7. GeirJ

GeirJ New to TalkEmount

Nov 20, 2012
    I went to Prague a couple of weeks ago and I brought the Tamron 18-200mm and the 16mm F2.8 for the NEX-5n. I fumbled while changing lenses and dropped the pancake lens on the cobblestones. This did not do it one bit of good so I used the Tamron for the rest of the trip. It's not an ideal travel lens IMO as it's not wide enough at the short end and too long and slow at the long end. I managed to get sharp pictures between 100 and 200mm only thanks to my Leitz table tripod which has been with me since the 1970ies. According to the NEX roadmap there will be a couple of zooms in 2013. I was thinking about the new 16-50 pancake zoom, but it will not work as well with the 5n as with the NEX-6. So far I think there is no ideal travel zoom for the NEX system.
  8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I tend to agree with you. Tamron and Sigma need to step up and start releasing some lenses for the NEX platform. And not just rewarmed SLR lenses either.