1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lenses for Sony NEX 5n

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by mikeos, Nov 17, 2013.

1. mikeos

mikeos New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    I've got the kit lens, 18-55mm and the 55-210mm, neither of which has a suitable aperture for low-light photos, which I've been trying to do in a badly lit jazz club. So far I haven't been able to track down a faster alternative. I would like to find a fixed lens of say 100mm with a wider aperture than the zoom lenses. This a bit of a minefield for me. Can anybody please suggest lenses I could look at? thanks.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I've heard nothing but great things about the FD135/2.0 if you can find it. But not sure what your budget is? If not a Samyang 85/1.4 might be cheaper and more versatile though wider

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

4. mikeos

mikeos New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, but unless I'm missing it this lens is not an E-mount is it? Forgive my relative ignorance-I'm pretty green at this stuff.

5. mikeos

mikeos New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    thanks, but again, this seems not to be available as a Sony E-mount or am i wrong?

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The only way you are going to get a fast aperture lens that will autofocus (which seems to be your issue with E mount only lenses?) is to use a Sony A mount lens with the LA-EA-2 adapter.

You can adapt a huge variety of SLR and rangefinder lenses to the E mount, but you will be limited to manual focus and manual setting of the aperture. If you want/need autofocus then you go the LA-EA2/A mount lens route.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, what you are asking for is not available on an E-Mount lens.

That is why we are suggesting other lenses, either totally MF or with the LA-EA2 adapter.

8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Well Sony have actually announced the 70-200/4 FE for full frame E-mount that would technically fit the 5N, but the size and the cost would probably not be in the ballpark you're thinking of :p

9. STANUL

STANUL New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    Try Sigma 60mm/2.8

Hi,
    I understand you are looking for a lens around 100mm range.
    Depending on what you need it for, you may consider Sigma 60mm/2.8 .
    It's cheap- US150 to 175 new and has some fantastic reviews and it comes in E-mount so no need for adapters.
    Same as you initially I had only the 2 zoom kit lenses
    I got the Sigma and I've been hooked instantly.

Its sharp and distortion and Color aberration are very low.
    Good luck.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. mikeos

mikeos New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    Many thanks for the suggestion. I have no problem with manual focus. I'll have a look at the LA-EA2/A adaptor. I've been told that using lens adaptors results in a loss of up to two stops.

11. mikeos

mikeos New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    Thanks. Somebody else suggested the LA-EA2 adapter. I'll take it on board.