Lens vs Lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WestOkid, Mar 15, 2017.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Until it lets you choose which camera is being used too, I don't think we have too much to worry about.

I could be wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Pretty cool web site. But I don't know that I'd learn much about lenses by comparing large thumbnails shot by different people of different subjects, and as AlwaysOnAuto mentioned, using different cameras.

But I have often browsed Flickr by searching for shots taken with lenses I'm flirting with. And have almost always come away with a useful first impression. So it's a good idea, but...

• Like Like x 1
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Interesting. Yet along with what has already been said, it's Flickr. Nothing wrong with that, and I admit I do not spend a lot of time there, but you are probably going to get a better signal to noise ratio here. For me anyway I would want to see what people here can do with it, as well as the commentary that often goes along with the pictures. That way when I get the lens and my pictures are still 2nd rate, I will know it is me and not the gear. :whistling:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've never really explored the "social media" part of Flickr, other than to "fave" stuff that I liked. It's just been a really convenient place to hang pictures in an ever-expanding gallery. And where I can be exposed to every possible use of imagery. Sort of a rolling, online exhibition. For free? Sign me up.

Yeah, there's a lot to dig through to get to the ore. But honestly, I can't remember the last time I idly browsed through Flickr for ten minutes and didn't have my mind blown. Sure, they're mining my data. But I'm a distant ship smoke on the horizon to them. They're going to spend more to monetize me than they'll get.

In any case, this place and Flickr share different worlds for me. Flickr is more like an art gallery. This place is more like an art gallery with an open bar. :drinks:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A fun app, but not quite ready for primetime. Relying on the flickr API to be stable is the biggest factor.
    And as AlwaysOnAuto hinted, and several comments in the article at the bottom, the comparisons can't draw definitive conclusions as to which is best because of too many variables. But it looks like fun, at this point they can refine it, just focus on the fun factor, like a 'my girlfriend is hotter than your girlfriend' comparo.

Eventually, I can see flickr creating its own version to attract more clicks, since it's based on their database. This is the thinking flickr needs to stay competitive.
    As for the social aspect of the site, it's better suited for interaction and feedback than other sites, like 500px. Warts and all, flickr is still the best photo site, IMHO.
    It got one of my Moon shots hanging in a gallery in Manhattan, so I can't complain.

• Like Like x 2