Lens Turbo/Speedbooster Users, are you having difficulties focusing to infinity using longer FL's?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Synomis192, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I used to have a third party MD 135mn f/2.8 lens, sold it since I didn't use it much. But when I did have it, for some reason I could never focus to infinity. Even if the lens said that it was at the infinity mark, it would still look like it was focused close to around 5m. Is that a common occurance with the LT/SB's? I'm looking to purchase something along the lines of a 200mm zoom lens. Anyone who has used the adapter have any problems with the focusing distances?
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It is possible that the lens had been damaged or something like that. Or that lens has got adjustable helicoid and it was maladjusted.

Quite many lens adapters are bit short and they allow focus beyond infinity.

I haven't had this kind of problems with my lens turbo but I use it only with normal lenses and wide angles.
  3. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    I had a regular adapter that I used and it allowed the lens to properly focus to infinity as well. I've never dropped the lens, but I don't have it so I can't test anything. I just wanted to see if anyone here has problems dealing with the longer FL's.

Thank you for your input though.
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    If its a metabones speedbooster you can adjust the position of the glass to correct for infinitive focusing.
  5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    I had problems even w/ OM 21mm but metabones lets you to adjust your adapter.
  6. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I cant really say as I never use longer focal lenghts on my SB. And I dont focus to infinity much. The whole concept of the SB is really centered around wide to medium focal lengths. I really wouldnt use it with anything over 85mm, 100 tops. At that point the telephoto effect takes over and that is easier to control with just zooming with your feet to get the desired composition. Also, another website had some guys test a whole bunch of longer focal lengths with the SB and the results just werent that good, mainly in relation to vignetting. I had some decent vignetting problems with the Tamron SP 90mm Macro lens.

Like I said, there is nothing to stop somebody from using longer focal lengths on SB, but its just a bit redundant.
  7. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    Oh how interesting, Didn't realize that the SB had corrective glass for infinity focusing. I just have an LT so there's no real adjustment. But I do realize what most of you are saying about using longer FL's on a SB being a little redundant. I would be better off using a dummy adapter for longer FL's
  8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013