Lens thoughts

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
So the other day, I ordered a Tamron 17-28, you know, the one everyone is raving about. That deal fell through when the shop didn't really have one in stock to sell to me. :mad: I cancelled my order 'cause I really WANT IT NOW, not in however many weeks it'll take for them to get more in stock.

This respite in time since cancelling has given me a chance to think about what I really would like lens wise.

Mr. Crowe's thread has me thinking more about my lens collection and useage.

With my purchase of an A7iii, I find I'm wanting more native lens satisfaction so I can get all the benefits of eye auto focus etc etc etc, when the grandkids are around. This weekend I found a 28mm doesn't make for a good portrait lens, at least not the few quick shots I tried to get.
I know, practice makes perfect and I can use a lot MORE practice.

That being said, I've been thinking about alternatives to how I could spend the money I would have spent on the 17-28.
The idea of an 85mm 1.8, a 50 1.8 and an adapter to turn my 28 into a 21mm might be a better way to get more options lens wise. I think with careful buying I could get all three for close to the same amount as the 17-28 would have cost.
I'm not sure what the degradation will be of the 28 w/an adapter attached, but it's so good I can't believe it would be all THAT bad.
What do you all think?
Should I just quit thinking and move on?

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Sell the FE 28mm? Buy the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 instead?
Keep an eye for a used or open-box FE 50mm f/1.8. Usually seen them for $150-179.
Save up to add the 17-28mm later?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I really like my 28mm. It is sharp as a tack and is easy to carry. I wouldn't get rid of it to get a 28 to something zoom.
Now my 28-70 Sony may end up leaving if I ever decide to move my A7ii out.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I have a 28-70mm Sony lens and have used it on my A6400... One thing about that focal range is that it makes it easy to decide if the Tamron 28-75mm lens is suitable for your shooting style. I like that lens because it is relatively small and light. I also have a 24-70mm f/4 Zeiss. I really have to test these two lenses out head to head. It is absolutely silly to keep two lenses of almost ethe same focal range and not a great deal of difference in the apertures.

I actually purchased the 24-70mm f/4 Vario-Tessar sort of by mistake. I did an eBay search for a 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens and the Vario-Tessar popped up in the search. Since I got it at a really low price, I decided to see what the lens can do. It is O.K. but like the 28-70mm kit lens, the I.Q. doesn't exactly blow my socks off.

I am considering selling both of these two lenses and also the 18-55mm kit lens that I got as part of the eBay package of the NEX-7 which I purchased a while ago and had converted to full time infrared. I also have a 55-210mm Sony lens which has been gathering dust since I bought a 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens.

The proceeds from the four lenses might bring me fairly close to the price of a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I have been doing pretty well in selling my Canon gear and I actually got more for a Canon 5D Mark-2 than I paid for it when I purchased it used a few years ago. I also did well on a Canon 1.4x Mark 3 Teleconverter and got the same price for it that I paid for it two years ago.

When I bought my A6500, I also got a Sigma MC-11 adapter which I sold last week. Right now, I could sell the A6500 and break even on what I paid for it minus what I got for the MC-11. I am thinking of doing that and staying with just three cameras: A6400, A7iii and a full time infrared converted NEX-7...

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I really like my 28mm. It is sharp as a tack and is easy to carry. I wouldn't get rid of it to get a 28 to something zoom.
Now my 28-70 Sony may end up leaving if I ever decide to move my A7ii out.
I forgot you have the 28-70 kit lens. Thought the FE 28mm was your only native AF lens. With the A7III, I can see the A7II parting soon, unless you are two body shooter.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My A7ii is a bought used camera that is probably worth more to me than what someone would give me for it. It has the screen delam going on, which doesn't make for a 'pretty' camera, if you know what I mean. Doesn't effect how it takes pictures at all so I'm happy to leave it 'as is' and keep using it. I haven't gotten into carrying two cameras at the same time, but, it's always in the bag holding a lens for me.
Maybe I should lighten up the bag and move it on down the road.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
My A7ii is a bought used camera that is probably worth more to me than what someone would give me for it. It has the screen delam going on, which doesn't make for a 'pretty' camera, if you know what I mean. Doesn't effect how it takes pictures at all so I'm happy to leave it 'as is' and keep using it. I haven't gotten into carrying two cameras at the same time, but, it's always in the bag holding a lens for me.
Maybe I should lighten up the bag and move it on down the road.
Just buy a new lcd screen protector. They are easy to swap. I’ve done it with two Sony cams already.

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Note: the messed up looking OEM coating over the LCD screen is simply applied over a polymer sheet. It looks the way it does because the coating is easily scratched off. What can be done is remove the remaining coating by rubbing it off with a cloth and alcohol. The polymer sheet beneath will be clear like new again. The coating has a polarization-anti-glare property.
I've done this to another Sony camera I bought off ebay with a scratched up LCD display which I was able to make look almost new looking.

You can leave it as is once done, as this sheet is still protecting the glass beneath. As you may already know, this OEM cover is available from Sony. If you wish to restore it to new condition, it has the Sony logo and black bars. A bit more intricate work to remove and replace.

But I recommend leaving the original on there, once it's rubbed clean and clear. Then buy an aftermarket hard 'glass' cover off ebay, etc. to apply on top. It costs less than $5.
It comes with cleaning wipes, dust tack cloth, alignment aids.
I successfully added one to my A7II immediately after buying it.

TedG954

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
Sony 18-105/4 for APS-C.
Sony 24-105/4 for Full Frame.

467673-200.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Note: the messed up looking OEM coating over the LCD screen is simply applied over a polymer sheet. It looks the way it does because the coating is easily scratched off. What can be done is remove the remaining coating by rubbing it off with a cloth and alcohol. The polymer sheet beneath will be clear like new again. The coating has a polarization-anti-glare property.
I've done this to another Sony camera I bought off ebay with a scratched up LCD display which I was able to make look almost new looking.

You can leave it as is once done, as this sheet is still protecting the glass beneath. As you may already know, this OEM cover is available from Sony. If you wish to restore it to new condition, it has the Sony logo and black bars. A bit more intricate work to remove and replace.

But I recommend leaving the original on there, once it's rubbed clean and clear. Then buy an aftermarket hard 'glass' cover off ebay, etc. to apply on top. It costs less than $5.
It comes with cleaning wipes, dust tack cloth, alignment aids.
I successfully added one to my A7II immediately after buying it.
So here is a quick picture of what my screen looks like on the A7ii.

What you're saying Will, is this will rub off?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Here's a better shot.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
So here is a quick picture of what my screen looks like on the A7ii.View attachment 104861

What you're saying Will, is this will rub off?
Yes. This pics show the coating has worn away starting at the center, and still intact at the edges. If you work towards the edge, the rest will be lifted and removed. It's as if you're rubbing it off, like compounding scratched paint on a body panel. But the process is more like removing glue residue. If there are deep scratches, then those will remain, of course.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
OK, thanks. I can relate to compounding auto paint. There aren't any scratches so that is good. I've got some alcohol so will give it a try.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom