lens protector?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by ilovenex, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Hi Everyone , What is the lens protector called? that protects the glass? where can i buy it? can someone show me the link. cause im not sure what they are called and to search for. Thanks

2. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    I am not shure what you mean by "lens protector". I can think of three different things: a UV (UltraViolet) filter, a lensshade or a front (as well as rear) lens cap.

I would think eBay is the best place to purchase these things.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    They are called UV (ultraviolet) filters. Available from every camera shop and online. Quality varies and most UV filters won't filter near uv (that is, they are piece of same optical glass than lenses and filter same wavelengths).

4. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Yes the uv filter. how do u use it? and what is it good for? do they make it for nex?

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
  6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Lenses are standardized. You need to know lens filter thread diameter when you get one. It is better to purchase a known brand (Hoya, B&W etc.) and definitely multicoated one. However I wouldn't pay 50 usd for one.

The filter has male threads and the lens has got corresponding female thread.

If you are test type person then there are some test out there. For example:
    UV filters test - Description of the results and summary - Lenstip.com

7. Micke

Micke New to TalkEmount

Mar 5, 2013
    Sweden
    IMHO
    I prefer to use a good quality UV filter mostly to minimize cleaning of the front element itself and for peace of mind ;)
    Should I scratch the filter is no big deal since it's cheap compared to the lens. Should I scratch the lens I'll be a sad panda :(

Edit: Spelling...