1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens hood

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Dec 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I have a couple of minolta lenses, and I would like to have a lens hood for each one.
    If I understand it right I can find some on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t....Xlens+hood&_nkw=lens+hood&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The lens hood should be attachable to the thread size. Should I also buy something for the crop factor? So my Minolta 50mm would require a 50*1.5 lens hood?

What to buy for my zoom lense 28-85 Minolta lens?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
    Alex

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    I have a couple of MD 28-85 original shades not doing anything
    If also looking for MD 28 F2.8, if it is 49mm diameter threads i also have a few and maybe one with 55m threads

PM me with info on where you are and complete description of what is marked in the front of each lens ( and your regular e-mail so i can send you pics) and maybe i can help you

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    the original wont help, as there is a crop factor to take into account

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know why you'd be concerned with the crop factor on a lens hood for a 50mm lens, Alex. The APS-C crop factor makes the 50mm lens into the equivalent of a 75mm, which means the field of view is narrower than the uncropped field of view. So the original lens hood won't cause any vignetting, which is really the only thing to worry about when choosing a lens hood. Bottom line: the original lens hood should work just fine; it will shield the lens surface from stray light, it will help protect the front element of the lens, and it won't cause vignetting.

• Like Like x 2
  5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks I did not know this, that I can use the original hood.
    One final question though, Can I also use other manufacturer hoods or should I stay to minoltas?

A

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Any hood that fits and doesn't vignette, should do the job as pointed out by David. There's a simple way to check for vignetting: stick a piece of paper within the hood's area and check for vignetting with the viewfinder/LCD, do this for the lens wide-open and completely stopped down. If you see anything happening in the affected corner (lower right in the picture) with only the slightest piece of paper (a few mm) within the hood's area, the hood is too tight. On the picture below the paper obscures already a significant part of the hood, which probably still won't be visible in the NEX-6's finder because this is the original hood and the lens is used in a cropped fashion.

This way you can check if any hood, original or not, in crop mode or not, will give vignetting. I do this all the time because I don't have original lens hoods for all of my lenses, these hoods are sometimes pricier on eBay than the lens itself.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Mostly generic lens hoods are sold as wide-angle/normal/telephoto hoods, focal lengths are hardly ever specified. Wide-angle hoods will be good for around 18mm or longer, normal from about 28mm and telephoto from about 60mm on APS-C. It also depends on the exact lens geometry, I suppose; if in doubt, go for the wider hood. Best thing to do IMHO is to buy a bunch of different hoods on eBay and try what works. I go to a photographica fair a few times a year and there I pick up caps and hoods for low prices, a lot of sellers have junk boxes filled with caps, hood, old flashes whatever and by browsing through them I usually come back with 10 items or so.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Another thing to consider is the size / design, I got a metal hood for my Kiron 28/2 and while it works fine for blocking stray light and protection, it's bulky and doesn't allow use of lens cap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Been there, done that :D
    Just gotta downgrade to a smaller id cap and if the hood is deep better get a cap with the release knobs in front (rather than on the side) ;)

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi guys,
    thanks for the answers. I am not quite sure though I am following you here. I am having mostly legacy minolta lenses and I would like to buy lens hoods for those.
    a. How I can find if a lens hood can be attached or not
    b. If I have a 55 mm focal length minolta the lens hood should not be causing any black borders on my frame.. but then it should not be much shorter as flares can always get inside.

Is there something wrong on my thinking?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Regards
    Alex

12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    A. There are lens hoods that thread into filter threads. These can be attached to any lens that accepts filters.

B. Not sure what's the question is. The 55mm lens is a short tele so no, I wouldn't worry much about vignetting. As to the length of the hood, just need to guess or experiment.

FWIW I don't keep a hood on my MD 50/1.7, it's a fairly light and portable lens, adding a hood would only make it cumbersome. I used it extensively in the summer, and the only situations when I had any flare issues were with direct light when hood would not have helped.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    B. that would be buying many hoods and trying? I wonder how this can challenge my wallet. MY legacy lenses are
    1. 100mm,
    2. 135mm,
    3. 20-85mm,
    4. 45mm,
    5. 50mm, and the
    6. sigma 30 mm

How I can buy hoods for these lenses?

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Maybe I missed it but why aren't you buying the original hoods for these lenses (thus not having to guess)?

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    How to find those???

A

17. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ebay is full of them ;)

18. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Can you dig out an affordable example for the MD 50mm?

Alex

19. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Alex, I did a search now and currently there aren't any for the MD 50mm - but that doesn't mean they are rare or anything. I bought all of my 11 genuine Minolta hoods from ebay - you just have to be patience and search regulary ;)