1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens hood as reverse coupler ?!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Jacob Bijo, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Jacob Bijo

Jacob Bijo New to TalkEmount

Jan 2, 2016
    Muscat
    Hi, Happy New Year wishes to all .
    A6000 newbie here (gifted myself on the new year eve, just 2 days on the counter)

I believe, many of us haven't tried this yet :hmmm:

I was trying to improvise to stack my 50mm and 55-210mm with the help of the lens hood itself ....... (since, what I found in my UPS package was a Bower T-4/3 adapter, instead of my online purchase of the 49mm coupler !! :shakehead:)

Though I was able to stack the lenses together (please see attached pics - shot with my SX40 bridge), the resulted macro image was not at all good in the first few tries, as expected :crying:.

So, is this really worth trying again, or am I going to damage the hood or the lenses? Has anyone tried this lens stack with a real coupler? Could there be any difference in the gap between the lenses when someone stack these lenses with a coupler OR a hood as shown here? Does an actual coupler also produce such shabby macros ?

Hope this is worth a fruitful discussion in this forum ... appreciate all worthy inputs. IMG_9947.JPG IMG_9948.JPG IMG_9949.JPG

2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

What do you want to achieve that way? A macro setup? If that's the case I'd grab one of the manual standard macro solutions instead - Nikon, Olympus, Tamron, ... depending on what you're after. Or get the 30mm Sony macro, but that might be a bit on the wide side.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jacob Bijo

Jan 2, 2016
    Muscat
    Thanks Nexnut, yes macro is the aim. But why, isn't lens stacking a normal practice ? by coupling 50mm to 55-210mm - a magnification of 4.2 is achievable (at least in theory). If this setup works, the next lens I am eyeing is the 16mm to replace the 50mm in the stack.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new a6000. Love mine.

I'm not familiar with this lens stacking set up. I am familiar with the reversing of a lens to get macro function. But I think both schemes will only work with legacy manual-focus lenses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lens stacking a zoom lens with a 50mm prime above, wouldn't that not work, due to the zoom's MFD being too great to see in focus the image coming off the prime lens? And the other problem, which would prevent both schemes from working....
    The E-mount lenses are focused and aperture controlled via wire. Once you flip the lens, you can not select the aperture or focus the lens on the subject.

I was there once myself, and the only choices were E-mount extension tubes or macro diopters. Tried both, neither were good enough and the most cost effective per result route was picking up a manual-focus macro lens plus dumb adapter.

I didn't try the reversing ring scheme with a legacy prime though. That might be the less expensive option.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Thanks, Will - saves me some words.

6. Jacob Bijo

Jan 2, 2016
    Muscat
    :2thumbs:

7. Jacob Bijo

Jan 2, 2016
    Muscat
    Thanks Will
    1) Yes, I too think the aperture control is the key.
    2) I couldn't find any aperture control lever on the mount side of my prime, like the legacy lenses
    3) I have seen many pro's describing the lens stacking as a surefire technique for macro (often a 50 or near prime, reverse mounted on the most tight end of a tele zoom)

One solution many e-mount buddies pointed out : is to remove the lens from the camera when the connection is hot. I didn't want to damage the camera or lens electronics, on the first day - so still not tried that (not sure whether it will work; I believe the lens will go back to its default setting once the lens is removed)

Anyways, I will try a bit more and see if I can achieve something better.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Why not try a 50mm standard lens with a 49mm thread? You don't need a macro for such a setup and I think your best bet is a fast manual focus lens like the Minolta MD 50mm 1:2 or anything like that. If you can find a male-to-male 49mm adapter, you're set; I have such a thing with 52mm for just this purpose (long ago, almost all my Nikkors are gone now). Can't elaborate now, been called for dinner :).

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jacob Bijo

Jan 2, 2016
    Muscat
    Thanks Ad Dielemand ... hope you enjoyed the dinner.
    Yes, now on the hunt for fully manual lens with 49mm thread.
    Thanks once again, for ensuring the technique exists :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jacob Bijo

Jan 2, 2016
    Muscat
    Will, pls see the attached pics stacked lenses. lens-stacking-diagram. macrophotography-12-728.

• Informative Informative x 1