1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens Help

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by jimmoore, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    I landed form Pentax land 6 months back and am enjoying the experience.
    I have a nex 7 with kit zoom plus Sony 20mm , 35mm and Sigma 60, what I would like to ask for the forum would I see a large improvement in optical quality if I was to add a Zeiss 24 and or 32.
    I would be very interested to hear from people with direct experience all of the above lenses.
    Thanks for any help you are able to give.

Jim

2. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    There's a useful discussion of the relative merits of the Zeiss 32, the Sony 35 and the Sigma 30 by Roger Cicala of Lens rental on his blog. I have the Sigma which is a great little lens. From all I've read I wouldn't buy the Zeiss because it offer very little more than the Sigma already has. I would consider the Sony in addition to the Sigma because as well as being optically similar the extra speed combined with the OSS does offer something significantly extra. So you would almost certainly see some improvement in optical quality with the Zeiss but from what I can see you wouldn't see a 'large' improvement.

I've never tried the Sony 20 but do have the Sigma 19. While I would like the 24, again I don't think it adds enough to the Sigma to be worth the cost new - maybe second hand though. Cicala also has some thoughts on lenses for the NEX-7 in general including the Sony Zeiss 24, though since this is an older post it doesn't cover the other lenses you have or are considering.

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    The close focus on the zeiss 24 is the best part about the lens. Sigma does not even compare.

4. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Thanks both.

Olli thanks for the leads will read that later, it would appear that your view support the what I have been thinking, but just wanted it confirmed.
    My favorite set up with my Pentax was a K5 with 21 ltd and a 40 ltd this covered most (but not all) my requirements, I did have the full set limited primes in my kit.
    I got the Sony 20 just because it was so small for a one lens around town setup.

Deadbear thanks for you input, the close focus ability is interesting, but I am not shore the cost is worth it for the use I would get out of it.

Thanks again, Jim

5. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I have the Zeiss 24, used primarily on my NEX-6. I have been a Nikon shooter for 35+ years, shooting most recently their "pro" f2.8 zooms. They are all gone, now, in favor of the Sony line (NEX-6 and A7r). In my view, the Zeiss 24 1.8 is my favorite lens of any I have ever owned (and that has been many). I like the close focus ability and LOVE the bokeh when shooting it wide open (something I do more than I should, I suppose). Every piece of this "gear" is a tool. Whether they are worth the $ depends on your personal needs and likes. I "sprung" for the estimably expensive Zeiss lens. I fell in love. I carry 3 of them now.