Lens Help for newbie

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tjayoub, Jan 10, 2018.

1. tjayoub

tjayoub New to TalkEmount

Jan 10, 2018
    Hey everyone, so I picked up an a6000 not too long ago, and the time has come for an upgrade from the kit lens. I mainly use the camera for videography and do dabble in photos. I started video making working on a gopro, and was really interested in the editing half of videography. But ive decided to explore the other realm now. I've familiarized myself with some of the basic terms and hopefully I can stand my ground in here amongst the experts lol. I have looked at 2 lenses so far, the 50mm 1.8 and the 35mm 1.8. I would like to have a 'deep' (intense) bokeh so I thought the 1.8 would be sufficient. I am open to suggestions for other lenses that don't cost a fortune. The other thing i need advice for is picking the right focal length. I guess you could say im used to the gorpos wide angle, but would a 50mm focal length be that big of a deal? If i stand far enough back could i achieve the same frame? What do you guys think a nice focal length would be for some within city shots or medium distance beach shots. ps I dont take much landscape video. what focal length would a shot like this be taken in? maxresdefault.jpg Basically the moral of the story, any suggestions for lenses that i could use mainly for video production that have a fast aperture and relatively not that expensive (i know im trying to get the best of both worlds but, you gotta try when on a budjet). Would it be better to look for a prime to pair with the zoom kit lens, or get a new zoom? Sorry for the really long post

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Well that focal length looks like about 50 mm by the not too distorted buildings. I could be and probably wrong. The 50 1.8 I hear has noisy focusing, not good for video and would give you a 75mm look. The 35 1.8 is a great lens, about 50mm on the a6000. I think focusing is a bit more quiet. The zeiss 24mm lens is magical. You may be able to pick one up used for around 700. Only problem is some CA wide open. Witch I know is not very easy to fix or fix at all in video. The Sony 18-105 zoom would probably be your best bet as look as your not doing a lot of low light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tjayoub

tjayoub New to TalkEmount

Jan 10, 2018
    when you say its a 35mm lens than gives a 50mm look, what exactly does that mean? Right now on my kit lens its 16-55mm, and on the actual display, it says at what focal length the lens it currently at. so if i zoom to 35mm on the kit lens, will a picture i take on it at 35mm be the same frame if i took it on the 35mm 1.8? or does the '50mm' look affect this? This is all new to me

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    He is referring to full-frame field-of-view equivalency. The A6000 has an APC-C sensor, which is smaller than a full-frame sensor (like the A7/A9 series) and picks up less of the image circle projected by the lens. So your field of view (FOV) - the width of the scene in front of you that is captured by the sensor and into your image - is roughly the same as a lens 1.5 times your focal length would be on a full-frame sensor. So a 35mm on an A6000 is roughly equivalent FOV-wise to a 50mm on full-frame, and a 50mm on an A6000 is roughly equivalent to 75mm on full-frame.

There are other equivalencies related to sensor size, but field of view (FOV) is the most obvious and has the most impact on your image. It makes your lenses seem more telephoto on APS-C. The focal length does not really change of course, and many things remain the same, but people who use or have used multiple sensor (or film) sizes often make these calculations to help them visualize how a lens might portray a scene. Focal length is focal length, regardless of FOV due to sensor, or whether it is a prime or a zoom lens. It is confusing when you first hear about it, but really only comes into play when you are looking for a lens and how much of a FOV you want to have.

I hope that helps more than it confuses you any further.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    If you are ok with manual focus take a look at the SLR magics. They have notches in the focus and aperture rings for videographer accessories and I believe clickless aperture rings as well but not positive about that. The quality is good. The sizes are fairly small (not like the rokinons/samyang cine line) and they also work for full frame if you ever want to upgrade.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Based on the scene of street life in Manhattan, the lens compression makes me believe it was shot with a focal length of 180-210mm. Notice how the 3 blocks behind the 1st traffic light don't appear to be that far apart. One of the characteristics of shooting with a longer focal length...compressing the distance behind the subject.

If you are used to the GoPro (F)ield (O)f (V)iew, it's a pretty wide one, with plenty of barrel distortion. I'd say the equivalent lens to achieve a similar FOV you'd use a 8-12mm ultra wide angle. Some characteristics of wide angles are the opposite of compression, the background seems stretched out further. Or if up close, the subject seems pulled in closer. And of course the straight lines converge or curve (distortion). But they all can add great cinematic effects.

The 'intense' bokeh you mention can come in many forms. Nicknamed 'swirly' 'soap bubble' 'trippy' "cat's eye" 'dreamy' or 'melted', and 'busy'. Different lens designs will yield these differing traits. But all of them start with a larger aperture. You can start getting unique bokeh from f/2.8 lenses. But for that blown away, cloud-like effect, that comes from f/1.8 to f/1.2 lenses. With these, also come the very narrow depth of field these lenses yield at wide open. So a sharp subject requires a tripod or track. Hand held video or moving subject, then AF and OSS (lens image stabilization) are a must. If you wish to do f/1.8 in bright daylight, you'll need a variable neutral density filter too, as the light will blow out your exposure.

The APS-C sensor of the a6000, a 1.5x crop sensor, has been covered by others before to explain the FOV equivalence of the results when compared to a full-frame sensor.
    Simply, take the lens and multiple by the crop factor to get the equivalent. ie. 50mm x 1.5 = 75mm. What that means is if you took a 50mm lens and shot a video on an A7 or A9, then took the lens and shot one on your a6000, your results will look like as if it was shot with a 75mm lens on the A7 or A9.

So, where am I going with this, just to show you have certain desires but that it isn't as cut and dry to advise a lens.
    The 50 and 35mm f/1.8 will likely not give you the FOV you are looking for. They will be tight if shot in normal distances. You'd need to stand quite far back to equal a GoPro FOV. :D The f/1.8 will give you the bokeh, but can't be used unless in shadows, low light or indoors.
    Your kit lens' 16-50mm yields a 24-75mm FOV equivalence. A good place to experiment is to try out all the major focal lengths available in faster primes to see which focal length you prefer for your style of video. The new Sony RX-0 came with a 24mm FOV equivalence, btw.
    With that, the new Sigma 16mm f/1.4 AF is sharp, fast and quick and will provide that 24mm.

Note, your human eye experiences the world roughly between 40-45mm. If you are interested in WYSIWYG, then a 28-30mm prime is needed for your a6000.
    A Sony FE 28mm f/2, or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 are available. Both AF.

But if you want a wide view like the GoPro but much better quality...
    look into a Samyang-Rokinon 12mm f/2 for E-mount. An excellent manual-focus UWA. Fast, sharp, low distortion, plus lens threads available too. The thing about UWA lenses is that their depth of field is so vast that once you have it focused for anything at 5 ft, everything behind is also in focus due to hyperfocal.

Those are my recommendations. But my advice is too shoot as many videos in different focal lengths to narrow down your need then decide. FYI, as you are interested in video, many have enjoyed adapting vintage manual-focus lenses to Sony's to get that cinematic look. They are cheap, easy to modify if you want a clickless aperture ring,
    and their lens flare will give you that JJ Abrams experience. ;)
    But be warned, their characteristic bokeh is like crack to a junkie! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    Heres a video I made a while back that explains aps-c vs full frame using A7 with 50mm vs A6000 with 35mm lens.