1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens help for a novice!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by nlrose, Mar 17, 2014.

1. nlrose

nlrose New to TalkEmount

Mar 17, 2014
    Hi,

I have an NEX-7 & would like to upgrade from the (18-55mm) kit lens. I have been reading online about lenses until my head hurts & trawling through your threads here but I thought it's about time to get some advice. I figure that based on my needs one lens won't do it all but for an upcoming trip to Melbourne I would like to buy one really good lens that will be handy to have while I'm there. I have 3 young kids and whilst I might take pictures of some architecture & interesting street scenes, the majority of my shots are likely to be family shots both indoors and out mostly during the day, but it would be good to be able to capture some good images with lower light.

I don't mind paying a premium for a really good quality lens & so I've been looking mostly at CZ lenses. Where I'm confused is trying to work out a plan for what to purchase. I've been thinking about the CZ 16-70mm f4 but then the reviews online haven't been that great although not bad either, but aside from it being CZ & better quality wasn't sure how much I would get from it and whether I'd be better off buying a really good CZ prime lens instead like the 24mm. Also in terms of zoom the 16-70 doesn't seem like much of a step up from the range of the kit lens in theory but maybe it would be enough for now? With small kids though and not a lot of time to muck about I do need something where I can use autofocus a lot & OSS is a preference which I don't think the 24mm has for eg. Also whilst I'm happy to buy for quality I'm no photography expert & really just want something will give my photography a boost & more options/versatility, hopefully great quality (as best as can be expected for a novice) without needing a huge amount of knowledge (for now at least) or fiddling with settings to get going. I know, roll eyes, but I do endeavour to learn more.

I'd also really like to invest in a portrait lens as I would like to be able to capture great close ups of the kids and I was reading some great reviews about the CZ 1.8 55mm but then that has come out as a fully framed lens & the NEX 7 is not a FF camera so not sure if that lens should even be a consideration?? How versatile though is a portrait lens generally and could it cover some of the general low light scenarios when travelling or is it really not something you would use much out and about?

TIA!

Niki

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    For your first lens after the kit, I really recommend the Sony 35mm F1.8. I have a lot of legacy stuff I play with (that's a rabbit hole) but the only autofocus lens I keep coming back to is that one.

It does everything the kit doesn't. You can get great low light shots, with the wide aperture and OSS. It's a great viewing angle for the street (though you will probably want the kit for wide angle architecture) and when you get up close you can get great portrait shots with lovely bokeh.

You won't be disappointed with it

3. nlrose

nlrose New to TalkEmount

Mar 17, 2014
    Thanks :) I was going to ask about this one too as I've read some good things about it and it's certainly a lot less expensive option.

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, I don't have a Zeiss lens to compare it to, but the comparisons I have seen online between the Sony and the Zeiss Touit have them very close on image quality.

But the Sony has OSS and is half the price.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    If you like close focus shots, macro like... Zeiss 24 is the way to go.

6. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    +1 I have both the SEL3518 and the CZ 24 ... I like the 35 just as much and find myself using it more often.