1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens for this type of photo (dof)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Diego Vieira, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Diego Vieira

Diego Vieira New to TalkEmount

Aug 27, 2012
    I just purchased my NEX-5N with SEL1855 and I'm really enjoying it. I'm still beginner, but learning a lot.
    I'm now looking for a new lens to take shots from people (or other objects - not insects or plants though) not so close from the subject to get the blurried background effect (dof).

Here is the effect I'm looking for:
    Katrin | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Bride and Bridesmaids | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Spanish tour group, London | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbphoto_se/7866252708/in/pool-1461497@N24/
    Dressed up man and his reflection, Covent gardens walk about | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    #237 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Waiting, (pondering?) Covent Gardens | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Some exif info
    Exif | Spanish tour group, London | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Exif | Dressed up man and his reflection, Covent gardens walk about | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Exif | Waiting, (pondering?) Covent Gardens | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As you can see the lens is AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G
    More from this lens: Flickr: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4G Nano Lens

My questions are:
    1. this lens works with NEX-5 (using adapter ofc)?
    2. it's the only lens (if compatible with NEX-5) for this type of shot?

Thanks in advance

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    1)......All Nikon lenses work with NEX using inexpensive adaptors available on ebay etc. Virtually any lenses made for 35mm SLR cameras can be used provided you have the right adaptor.

2)......Shallow depth of field is a function of the aperture used,..larger aperture (smaller number) the less depth and the more chance of blurring the background by rendering it out of focus. Additionally, the longer the focal length the less depth of field for a particular aperture.

An 85 mm lens on NEX is a medium long focus (tele) lens,..equal to approx. a 135mm on film(35mm) You could use any large aperture lens and get a similar result,...good lenses to try would be 35mm f2 (or f1.4 slightly better) for normal view...50mm f1.8 for slightly tele view (f1.4 scarcely any better and MUCH heavier/expensive/larger)

3. Diego Vieira

Aug 27, 2012
    Awesome!
    I could not expect a better explanation.

Feel free to recommend any lens brand/model.

Thanks much Bugleone!

4. Bugleone

Aug 21, 2011
    You can use one of the online depth of field calculators to work out DoF for a particular lens/aperture,...try this one;

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Most lenses for 35mm SLR cameras will give good to excellent results on NEX. The Canon FD lenses are obsolete and no Canon digital camera is made to use them now so they are a little cheaper than others and very good quality in build/contrast/sharpness etc. Also, Olympus OM lenses are excellent quality and often quite small/compact. Nikon and pentax lenses are high quality too but there are modern digital bodies that they will fit, so they tend to be a little more expensive although they are no better than CanonFD/Oly.

Also, try the SEL18/55 at 55mm and f5.6.......if yo uset NEX to 'A' (aperture priority) mode you can set what aperture you prefer and the camera will select shutter speed to exisiting light conditions.

5. Diego Vieira

Aug 27, 2012
    OH!! thanks for the calculator tip, very easy to understand and use.
    As for the SEL1855 tip, will try that. I was thinking that I should use lens with f1.4 or f1.8 to get that result.
    Again, thank you so much!

6. Bugleone

Aug 21, 2011
    Just a small word of warning if you are doig serious work;.......depth of field works best when you use the scales/tables in conjunction with the size of print you are going to make. I make 20x16 inch prints for exhibitions and demonstrations etc, so ran my own tests to determine good depth of field at that size of print.

7. Diego Vieira

Aug 27, 2012
    Roger that.
    Will keep that in mind.

Thank you! :D

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  9. Diego Vieira

Aug 27, 2012
  10. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The difference in depth of field between 1.4 (The Nikon lens you are citing as reference) and 1.8 would only be a couple of inches wide open at say, 10 feet. So the Sony 1.8 lens would come close to what you want. It would be the equivalent of 75mm instead of 85mm (Nikon on FX sensor), but should get you fairly close. This would be a fully automatic lens, which may or may not be important to you.

If you are looking for a manual lens, another option would be something like the Canon 55mm FL 1.2. The FD mount is easily adapted to NEX.

Suffice to say there are lots of options. But it seems like you want match the look you are seeing from the Nikon 85mm 1.4 on FX sensor cameras. So you want a fast lens and somewhere between 50-60mm in length.