1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens for shooting a room

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Mar 15, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I would like to do a bit of photoshooting the baby room, after it will be ready this weekend. I would like to capture it as it would be ready waiting for the new born.
    What type of lens do you think I should use. I am not telling you what I have so you can freely describe what you think a decent choise would be.

I guess that should be a macro like lens so to make some close ups to dolls and having the background being blurred a lot....

What is your take?
    Alex

2. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Well if you want the whole room in 1 shot I would go with a sel16 and wide converter depending on the size of the room of course.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    That might be needed too, but I also think to get the decorations really close. I guess it will look nice a close up to the first doll and the others on the background to be blurred.

4. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I don't know that a Macro would be needed a nice fast 50mm would be good though. You should be able to get some nice shots of the dolls with good bokeh with a decent fast 50, plus if you are looking at buying 1 you get the added bonus of having 1 of the most versatile lenses around. If you are not keen on a 50 and you have a 55-210 kit lens that can also make some good bokeh you will just need a little more room to set it up.

5. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Without any wish to be rude;....I thgink you are looking at this the wrong way around.

There's no inherent differance in shooting a room to any other complex situational subject,...first 'look' at teh many facets,..then decide what images you would like to capture ...and then work out how to do so....which in turn will tell you various methods and lenses required.......

.........It does not take a genius to work out that you will need some kind of 'wide viewing' arrangement beit an actual wide-angle lens or some clever stitching during editing. Likewise, you will need a good 'detail' set-up......

Perhaps teh best advice is to tackle each of these image types one at a time and NOT just start clicking away 'willy-nilly'.

6. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Good advice that, defiantly worth taking.

7. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    You can stitch a few frames together but would need some "detailed" planning and proper software..

8. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    a wide angle will put compress toomuch in the photo and make the room seem crammed,unless it is a massive room, try the 16mm on it's own then take it from there, it's all about perspectives, taking a few on an 50/80 mm say and stitching them sounds a good idea, although I don't know how difficult that would be and you'd need a tripod,
    good luck and experiment until you get it right ,there's no right way or should I say a there are a few right ways

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just a few questions.

1- Lighting. Is your room well lit, or kind of dark? Inside lighting often requires at least 2.8 or less.

2- Closeness. Shots in a room tend to be closeup, so I doubt you would want anything over 40mm.

3- Macro. You indicated your desire for Macro work. Many lenses have Macro built in.

4- Manual or auto focus. Are you exclusive to only Auto Focusing lenses or open to Manual Focusing lenses?

10. kahren

kahren TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2013
    i would go with a 16mm+ ECU1 wide adapter to get as much of the room as possible (you could also do a pano, but that might not stich well as it is harder to do them in tighter spaces), and 50 1.8 if you want to isolate certain subjects in the room

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    kahren, welcome to the forum. :)

12. kahren

kahren TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2013
    thanx :)
    i was lurking for a little while and then finally decided to join

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi and thanks a lot. I tried today a bit with a 55mm (f 1.8) and I will share soon the results... (first I need to repaid the main pc, hard disk is failing....)

14. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Well I miss the theory here. The 1655 lens I have here (the default one) has an apperture that goes roughly from 3.5-6.5 ... how good bokeh can I have with these apperture ranges?

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not the best, usually you will want under 3.0, but a lot depends on the shot and lens characterisrics.

16. tuwinkk

tuwinkk TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Singapore
    how is the room size?
    i really like to shoot with FL 30-50mm..
    if u're not really familiar with manual focus, u can go to sony E 35 mm or 50mm..
    or if u're on budget...u can go to sigma 30mm....

*just my 2 cents*