1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens for presentation

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Aug 6, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I occasionally like to shoot colleagues on their presentations. That means sitting on a small size room (dimensions like 7 * 20 meters) and taking some shots. The problem is that typically I want to have two different things

1. close-up portraits
    and
    2. general view of the room including speaker and the audience.

This pretty much means that I need two focal lengths one wide and one tele type, so I found that the zoom lenses like 30-70 or 27-85 give me the flexibility. Also good one, in terms of flexibility is the SEL 55210.

The biggest problem though is that the zoom lenses are too slow and the lightning in the presentation is mediocre to low typically so all these zoom lenses would force me to go for very high iso and low shutter speeds.

Another possibility I was thinking is to sit close enough use the SEL16 and when I want to shoot the audience just use the wide angle converter (of course this will distort a bit the audience)

The SEL55210 has a maximum apperture of 4.5-6.3 and my 28-85 Minolta lens has a maximum aperture of 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 . Would that 4.5 at 85mm compared to the 5 something of the SEL55210 be a huge improvement in terms of light gains? I guess not.

Any tips how I can approach this problem might help
    Regards
    Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No, lens with OSS will probably perform better when there is so little of difference in maximum aperture.

A fast 50mm lens may be suitable for portraits and I think that wide converter for SEL16 isn't needed as it is pretty wide already.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yes a 50mm lens is ok for portraits but then I would need to change lenses over time.. from the other side I do not need to change anything in a zoom lens.. it is that is slow then.. compared to my 50/1.7 lenns

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    One more question

Do you expect to see large differences between those two lenses in low light conditions? Can someone share what is the achievable maximum aperture of SEL55210 at about 85mm? I think that it might be faster the manual lens...

What do you think?
    Regards
    Alex

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    f/5.0 at ~85mm

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    How about using a wider lens and cropping in PP wherever necessary (portraits)?

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Unless Sony comes up with long rumored fast zoom, you may need to invest in a AF/aperture control adapter and get one of the 17-50/2.8 zooms for DSLR.

If you prepare your lenses with both caps off, exchanging lenses would be almost as quick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the advice.
    Alex