1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens Flipper by GoWing

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Doug Kranz, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Kranz

Doug Kranz New to TalkEmount

Mar 28, 2016
    Doug
    Hello fellow Sony Shooters! I wanted to introduce you to a product called the Lens Flipper by GoWing. The Lens Flipper makes it easy to carry and extra lens, and makes changing a lens quicker, safer and easier. You can check them out at www.lensflipper.com.

If you have questions please ask here, and I will be happy to help. We have Lens Flippers for both Sony A, and E. (as well as Nikon, Canon, and M4/3rds)

Please note, I did get Amin's permission to post.

Sony_E_8809416750033_0006.JPG

Happy Shooting!
    Doug

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Clever!

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Apart from the strap, two rear lens caps glued back-to-back do the same.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Well, kind of. But they lack the locking pin/release and secure metal strap interface. I would be leary of two rear caps, the lenses could twist off accidentally.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You're right, the locking pin is a useful addition.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I'd sure like to see more on how the pivots are built/made before hanging any of my glass from them.

7. Doug Kranz

Mar 28, 2016
    Doug
    The "pivot" is a metal bar that goes all the way through the lens Flipper. The triangle rings on the end are like a "key ring" style. I have swung a canon 400 MM F2.8 around on the Lens Flipper, we are working on the video of that now, which we will post to our Website, YouTube and other social media like Facebook

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    They look very nice - but at a price.

9. Doug Kranz

Mar 28, 2016
    Doug
    really no more expensive then another camera bag, or well known camera strap. This device greatly reduces the risk of dropping your lens when changing, so, It really pays for it self the first time you use it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I always appreciate new ideas...and after having a few decades on the planet I also believe in clear discussions about emerging products, balanced against existing products, techniques, etc. So my questions / thoughts here are not intended as any attack on the product or the idea...just questions / thoughts trying to test / balance what I'm reading against years of actual hands on equipment experience in general...and in that light have a few thoughts.

This statement doesn't strike me as any sort of plus...it implies buying one would "be in place of"..."instead of"...some sort of a camera bag / carrier so no camera bag would be needed. However, a camera bag / some sort of bag-like carrier would still be needed for other lenses, and for the variety of other things normally carried in a bag of some sort...therefore more money would need to be laid out for the product, and then there would be another thing that has to be carried. Possibly multiple additional things bought and carried depending on the number of lenses potentially involved.
    And, carrying naked lenses hanging by my side would seem to expose them to unnecessary physical harm, the elements, etc...the very real aspect of which led to the development of protective camera bags in the first place.

Its not clear what this statement is comparing lens changing to?
    And it really implies a photographer ordinarily drops a lens the first time he/she changes a lens, but using this product will eliminate that risk "and pay for itself the first time its used". I haven't dropped a lens in my life so my reservation about such a comment should be apparent.

If I walk through the steps required to change a lens in the field, it seems to me that trying to do it from something dangling at my side offers greater risk than using the protective compartment of a bag or other protective carrier pouch to immediately place the removed lens into, freeing up hands to then mount another lens from a protective bag or carrier pouch.

My apologies ahead of time if I haven't grasped the benefits of using this product under real field / trekking conditions...ie: how an exposed lens would be protected from physical harm / and the elements while hanging from a strap...how it would be easier / simpler / safer to use in swapping lenses, etc.

>>>I think it would be very helpful if actual data-based specific examples can be pointed to, as opposed to speculation:

>>>Why would I stop using time honored / proven / protective gear to buy this product instead ?

>>>What would be the point of switching?

>>>How many of these products would need to be bought, then carried, to handle multiple lenses on a hike through the woods ?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  11. Doug Kranz

Mar 28, 2016
    Doug
    The Lens Flipper was designed so you don't have to carry a camera bag. There are times when a camera bag is unpractical. An example for me is if I am driving along and see something I want to photograph, and only want to carry a lens on the camera, and one extra. This is a perfect set up. Many wedding photographers only use two lenses and do not want to carry two bodies. The speed in which you can change lenses is quicker then having to dig in a camera bag. I use mine while I hike, go to theme parks, and when I shoot motorsports. Not only for Sony, but for my Canon gear too. Sure, the Lens Flipper is not for everyone. Though, I have several professionals that love our product. In fact, I just had a NASCAR photographer buy 10 for himself and his crew.
    You may not of dropped a lens. Many have. For Canon, your looking at least $275 for a minor repair, the cost of shipping, and the time lost with out the lens. I do not know a single person who wakes up thinking, I am going to drop my lens today. They all told me it was an accident they were not expecting.

12. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good luck

13. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    This can indeed be very helpful in certain scenarios. For the sake of fairness, I thought it only reasonable to note that Peak Design sells a very similar device that integrates with their Capture Pro clip and other products for those that may have them. I don't believe that they have A mount compatibility but they do have E mount.

Good luck with your product.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, clever concept :thumbsup: though I hesitated to say that I've seen it before (by PD) ;) Thanks for sharing ;)

15. Doug Kranz

Mar 28, 2016
    Doug
    Yes, PD has something similar, but we were out way before they were, they pretty much stole our idea. We were at one time a PD Dealer, then they came out with a copy of what we have changed just enough

16. Doug Kranz

Mar 28, 2016
    Doug
    PD came out with their product a year after we came out with ours. They copied our design and adapted it to their system. We were a PD Dealer at one time with a few of their products, until they lost our respect.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I did give permission for this thread but didn't anticipate it going in this negative direction. I'm going to go ahead and close it now. Hopefully those members who like the idea will have benefited from the exposure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.