1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens Flare??? and Zeiss Batis 25 f2 for Sony A7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by doublezd, Aug 31, 2015.

1. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    Hello:

I hope someone can help me with my lens issue.

This past weekend, I rented the Zeiss Batis 25f2 so I could see if I liked it well enough to purchase for my Sony A7.

While I loved many things about the lens, I was disturbed that during a night photography outing, my photos showed what I think is "lens flare" --please pardon that I am not all that familiar with the technical side of lenses and the names for particular issues -- and I could very well be describing something else.

I used the hood that came with the lens and a clear glass filter to protect the lens during the night shoot.

* The settings for the picture of the railroad tracks with the odd object growing out of the flood light were ISO 100, f11, 97 seconds.

* The settings for the picture of the canal, long factory building in the distant left, and the moon with a green tail/halo were ISO 100, f11, 8 seconds.

I have used other lenses during night shoots and while the flood lights were bright sunbursts, I never had the halo affect around the moon or odd objects growing out of the light sources.

I know this lens is very new to the market-- so few people own one... but I'm hoping to get some clarity before I purchase or decide not to.

My questions are:

1. Is this something particular to certain lenses-- basically what you should expect from that lens, or could I have rented a damaged copy?

2. Can anything be done post processing to eliminate what I have described/shown? I just got Lightroom but I don’t yet know much about it.

3. Is there anything to do when taking the photo so that this issue can be avoided?

Thank you so much for your help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I think you will find this is an issue with the the A7 and sensor relections. I battle with this at times when taking night shots. Avoiding it is difficult especially when you have bright lights towards the edge of the frame.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015

Thank you Southey.
    I was sure it is the lens because I haven't had the strange objects growing out of the light sources or the halo of colors with my other lenses -- the 55 1.8 or the 35 2.8.

4. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    I know Holyoke pretty well. These are good shots.

5. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
  6. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    THANK you, and oh my...that edited version looks GREAT.

So dumb question -how did you do that?

And can Lightroom do it? How???

I'm a complete beginner with the Lightroom program, but this would inspire me to learn!

7. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    If you don't get the same with your other lenses, it could be that:

1. The culprit is the filter (quite often is the case)
    2. The culprit is the lens (even though the Zeiss coatings are very good)
    3. The culprit is sensor flare

8. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you pbizarro-- I really appreciate your feedback.
    I decided to preorder the lens in spite of the flare with the rental. And I bought a really good filter (the one that came with the rental lens was average quality). I will be curious to see if the results are better.

9. Dirtistasty2

Dirtistasty2 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    I've had issues with filter induced flare with even the best filters (B+W MRC, Heliopan SHPMC). I just don't use filters now. Lens glass is pretty tough and I really don't think they need protection unless you're shooting in a sand storm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you Dirtistasty2

11. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Sensor reflections are definitely a bigger issue with the A7 than other FE cameras. You can see the blue-green flare show up in a lot of night shots with a particularly strong light source (referring to the flare in shot #2). It's also visible in daytime shots, just often not as obvious. They fixed it with the A7II. I usually see it when I'm shooting my 16-35mm.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you Ggibson.