1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens Dilemma

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by starmite, Apr 7, 2015.

1. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    I recently reached a milestone anniversary with my lovely bride, and she totally shocked me and presented me with a Zeiss Touit trifecta for my Nex-7 - the 12, the 32, and the 50. She must think I'm a worthy husband ;-)

But these new lenses present a problem, because now I have overlap with some of my existing lenses and could use some advice on which to keep and which to part ways with. My other lenses include the SEL24F18z, the SEL35F18, the SEL50F18, the SEL1018, the SELP18105G, and the SEL55210.

I don't think I can part with any of the gift lenses without creating massive ill-will, so which ones should I let go? I'm thinking the 1018, the 35, and the 50, but some of the reviews I've read suggest the 35 bests the Touit 32. Also, the 24z and 32 are fairly close in focal length, so maybe the 24z needs to go too. I don't concentrate on shooting a particular type of subject (e.g., landscapes) and would prefer to have a set of lenses that can cover nearly all situations. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Wow, that is a worthy gift indeed!

Here's my two cents worth of advice:
    - There is actually quite a bit of difference in field of view between the 24z and the 32, so I would definitely consider keeping the 24z. It has one of the best reputations among Sony E-mount lenses. And it is worth the price of the SEL35, SEL50 and SEL55210 combined. Of course, if you just have to part with it, I could be persuaded to take it off your hands. ;)
    - If you are keeping the Touit 32, then the SEL35 is probably a redundancy. I'd consider unloading that one first. Some reviews put it ahead of the Touit, but others give the Touit a clear advantage. They are both f/1.8 and almost the same FL, so they are the closest of duplicates.
    - The SEL1018 vs. the Touit 12 will be more of a zoom versus prime comparison. If you use the SEL1018 at several of its focal lengths and do so often, then keep it for that versatility.
    - The SEL55210 does not overlap in focal length with any of the Touits, so if you need its longer reach, keep it.
    - The SEL50 is probably the toughest call. While the Touit 50 is the same FL, they have different apertures (the Touit is f/2.8, right?). If you use the SEL50 much in low light for portraits (of your wife, children, pets and so forth), then it might be worth keeping. The Touit has the advantage of being a Macro lens though. And the SEL50 is the lowest priced of all the lenses mentioned, so even if you let it go, it is the easiest to get back if you miss it.

No matter what... enjoy the gift, it's a great one!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    My question is, why worry about a little overlap?
    Do you have to sell them or is this just a way to 'move the cheese' and get more 'stuff' later?

4. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm actually planning ahead for a trip to Africa where a long-range lens like the Sigma 150-500mm Telephoto Zoom Lens (with adapter) would be useful. Selling a few of the "overlap" lenses would make help offset its cost. I don't really have to sell any of them, but I just know that some would likely remain on the shelf not being used.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Personally, I don't see a need to reduce the overlap. I have lenses of similar FL and they impart their unique character to the final image. (I like to do a minimum of PP.)
    But if you must, pretty easy which ones would go first. As stated, they are also easily replaced if missed, and they aren't that expensive.
    The SEL35, SEL50 and SEL55210 get to go to lucky buyers. The first two are close to the incoming Touits. The zoom is great performing in daylight up until the 210 end where I find it to be soft. Since you're planning on a new zoom, long end is more than covered.

I also think the 24mm stays, because IMHO, it's the right amount of wide angle for landscapes. 30-35mm can be tight. The difference is significant.
    The 1018 and 18-105 stays. Excellent optical performance zooms that cover you from ultra wide angle to a very useful telephoto FL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i'd keep them. who knows. if you pick up a spare body, someone else friend or family could pick up some of the "overlap"lenses and shoot with you. (i enjoy shooting with friends) :) either way, Cheers and enjoy the Gifts! and make sure you share some shots with the new gear :bravo-009:

7. scrowley91

scrowley91 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    New Jersey
    Sean Crowley
    Does your wife shoot? I've always found photography to be one of the best hobbies to share with my significant other. Might be worth grabbing an a3000 on sale. (like 200 bucks with lens) and giving her her own kit.

8. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Wow, now... you better be worthy ;) Otherwise, those nice glass grenades could be thrown at you.

I am nothing close of a seasoned photographer, but I have to say, the overlap is not that big from where I stand, at the most, since you want to offset some cash for a longer FL, I would get the SEL35 sold, its commonly available and in the long run, I see the Touit keeping its price/value, unlike the SEL35 (albeit it might drop just a little).