1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens considerations for wedding

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Bryan Jefferies, Jul 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bryan Jefferies

Bryan Jefferies TalkEmount Regular

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    I've got my first wedding this weekend using Sony gear for photography, and could use some recommendations on which lenses to use when. Been using an A7S for the last couple of years doing the video thing but just recently sold my 5DmkIII and L glass, that I did photography with, and invested in an A7RII, A6300, (still have my A7S), and the lenses I purchased were the FE55 f1.8, FE24-40 f4, FE70-200 f4, FE90 f2.8, E10-18 f4, FE28 f2, and the (E18-105 (mainly got this for my video work)). Also thought I might need some really fast lenses for the reception and because I couldn't afford fast native glass opted for the Rokinon 85 and 35. Knowing that this was an inside service and reception and giving the equipment line-up I ended up with what would you suggest to use during the different parts of the day? Oh... I also purchased a couple of Godox 860II's and a controller.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, sounds to me you're pretty much setup for the wedding as far as gear goes!!!

Sure, one could say you might need a fast 35mm 1.4 or a native fast 85 also but I'm sure you'll do great ;) Welcome to the forum :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I would use then remaining time up to the event to practice, practice practice to get aquainted with my gear and find out what works best for me in which situation for what i envision.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you're pretty well equipped gear wise. Being indoors exclusively, I'd opt to use the 70-200 f/4 on the A7S to compensate for the lack of a f/2.8.

I agree with Soeren, take the time now to acclimate with what lens on what body. And remember to program each body ahead of time with their memory presets for the category of lenses. Especially the manual Rokinons.

Let's hope the bride and groom will allow you to share some shots here, would love to see the results from your selected gear for this event.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Thanks for the advice guys. With decent light, like maybe at the beginning of the day I was thinking the 24-70 on the A7RII and the 10-18 on the A6300, then for the ceremony putting the 70-200 on the A7RII, and the 28 on the A6300, then for the reception putting the 55 on the A6300 for more of a fast portrait lens and maybe the Rokinon 35 (shooting manual scares me) on the A7RII with the 70-200 on the A7S. Just my thoughts. Took all these to the Smokey Mountains this last weekend (vacation) and shot a bunch. Posted a few pics on another thread close to this one. So far I'm really happy with the gear, but weddings are entirely and run and gun situation, so I get the advice of presetting and practicing.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I don't think you'll have any problems manually focusing those fast and bright Rokinons, even stopped down from f1.4. Been manually focusing legacy lenses for more than a year and the best advice I can recommend is to set the custom button next to the shutter for manual focus assist. This way it's a convenient tap to get the magnified view. Have focus peaking set to LOW. Since it's contrast dependent, it can give you a false positive, therefore a magnified view will confirm what you want is in focus.
    It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    How big is the venue? As an alternate idea, instead of the 70-200, why not try the 90/2.8 with cropping for all your tele needs? I've shot several weddings and events (conferences) with this lens and the extra stop at near lengths makes me not have any need for a 70-200. The only thing I could imagine is a very large church and shooting from the back or something. But zoom-with-your-feet/crop is perfectly fine for virtually anything else. It greatly reduces the total weight of your gear, at any rate.

I think I'd stick the 24-70 on the A7rII and swap with the 90. 55/1.8 on the A6300 for extra shallow DoF shots, I'd think.

Most important after that is make sure you are comfortable with your flashes. Practice in some poorly lit rooms at home, moving around an object to observe your favourite bounce characteristics (I personally never ever use direct flash except for outdoor fill).

8. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Sounds like good advice. Will play with those settings this evening and get a little use to it.

9. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Hey Quezra, Also good advice on the 90mm for the extra stop. Plan to use the flashes early in the day for some extra fill and then maybe set them on stands with a couple of fong lightspheres I have to add a little something during the dances. Also will use the stands and controller for family formals.

10. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    I knew asking here was a good idea.:dance4:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    OK, I did the wedding and am still alive.... Wooo Hooo. Made so many mistakes, but luckily it was a small country wedding with few demands and was the perfect event to break in the new gear. My first mistake was that, at the house, I was shooting some video on my A7RII and left it in crop mode for the first couple of hours of the wedding (oh crap). Realized it in the middle of the ceremony. Hope they don't decide to blow many of those up. Second, being that my company booked photography and video (we sometimes get this), I found myself really stretched due to having to help my daughters with settings and what I was after (video-wise). And third, it was over 100 degrees and I was (like the wicked witch) melting.. I shot mainly the A7RII with the 24-70 f4, some A6300 with 10-18, and 55mm., and a little A7S (during the reception) with the 70-200. Never under estimate the beauty of a good working flash. The Godox seemed to hold up well, and I found without the flash (during the reception, which was pretty darn dark) the picks were a bit grainier than I care for. Being use to the 5DmkIII and a 24-70 2.8, I felt that the new rig seemed just a little sluggish in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I made the switch, just need to get a little more use to it and perhaps start saving for the 24-70 2.8. I shot roughly a 1000 images, a little less than my usual 1500-2000 (due to time constraints) and used about a battery and a half. The Godox system was used from the start and the battery never showed signs of exhaustion. Hopefully I won't be as nervous for the next one. I've texted the bride a few moments ago and had asked permission if I could post a few images here, but haven't heard back yet. There in Cancun and I wouldn't be answering the phone either. Ha...

• Like Like x 4
  12. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    DSC04401.
    A7RII 24-70 F4 in crop mode

DSC04404. DSC04420.
    A7RII 24-70 F4 in crop mode A7RII 24-70 F4 in crop mode

DSC04422. DSC00710.
    A7RII 24-70 F4 in crop mode A6300 10-18 F4
    DSC00726. DSC00743.
    A6300 10-18 F4 A6300 55mm

DSC04724.
    A7RII 24-70 F4 Full Frame

DSC04730.
    A7RII 24-70 F4 Full Frame and cropped in Lightroom

DSC04745.
    A7RII 24-70 F4 Full Frame

• Like Like x 7
  13. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Thanks for everyone's help on lens recommendations.

14. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Nice job! It does look a bit dark! Probably a lot of low warm lighting.
    But those outdoor shots look very good!

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice results!

16. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Thanks Will and Nick.

17. Shot Gal

Shot Gal TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Karen Engel
    Thanks for sharing this and the resultant images. Nice!

I have an all outdoor (bright sun) California wedding to shoot in 2 months and am going through some lineup changes after having just phased out A Mount. I'm reluctant to drop $2K on the FE 24-70 2.8 when I have the Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* 24-70 2.8 SSM w/Sony adapter. I also have a 24-70 F4 on the way to check out, though not sure it can achieve the look of the big Zeiss lens.

Regardless, the 24-70 goes on an A7RII, then I have the FE 24-240 to put on either an A7II body or an A6000 (for extra reach). Hoping the 24-240 is good enough for the second body - I'd prefer a 70-200 2.8 but don't own one any more, and I'm traveling to do this - so want to keep things as small as possible. I might also bring an RX10 as a backup camera.

I might only bring one flash for on camera fill (in portraits) only - F43M on the 24-40 camera. I have a F43AM and F56AM as well but not sure I want to play with off camera flashes in a time sensitive environment. I'm not experienced at all with "speedlights". Any recommendations would be appreciated.

18. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Hey Shot Gal, Well as you know, time is usually against you when doing the wedding thing (going on 15 years). I was a bit concerned going into the one I shot a couple of weeks ago and was trying to cover my basis the best I could. Having come from a Canon 5DMKIII and 24-70 2.8, I knew I would want the zoom for speed (not having to change lenses) and focal ranges, and then maybe a few primes during the reception when things slowed down (ya right). I kept the 24-70 F4 on the A7RII most of the time and swaped out different primes on my A6300. I was really happy with the quality that the 24-70 rendered, just wish it had been a bit faster for when the evening came. Being that you will have both, the 2.8 (with adapter) and the F4, I would see which one pulls focus the fastest and most accurately. I think in good light your F4 will give you pretty good detail and really wouldn't worry that much about it's sharpness. OK, so it won't give you as much bokeh as the 2.8, so there's your main trade off. As far as speedlights go, I too have always struggled with getting just what I want, but I purchased the Godox unit with TTL and put a Fong light sphere on it and it did great. Really want to say it saved my butt during the reception and added a little fill and catch light the rest of the time.

19. Shot Gal

Shot Gal TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Karen Engel
    A little late but thanks for this - I still have to test the 2.8 vs the F4 a bit but am inclined to probably just go with the big glass for it's bokeh, even though the size and weight difference is significant, and I'l traveling so have to carry on the cameras, lenses and batteries... If it was just travel/walk around it might not need the shallow DOF but weddings/portraits is where I want it the most.

Since it's daylight and no indoors, one shoe mounted HVL-F43M should do hopefully. I'll have the 43AM on hand as well and add it via WL if needed. If it wasn't travel I'd probably go for a Flashpoint Xplor 600 TTL setup.

20. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren