1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens.. 18-200 or 55-210??

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Arno, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Arno

Arno New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2013
    Hi guys,

Sure you seen this question before..

Just bought myself the Sony NEX 5R, it came with the 18-55 lens, to replace my old trusty and slow Lumix TZ10..

So in 2 weeks time I'm off to South Africa and looking for a lens with better zoom that what the 18-55 can offer, especially for wild life..

Question then, and you might notice that I'm new to this game, I take that the main difference between the 2 lenses are the ability to take close up pics, ie where I will need the 18-55. But what about the full zoom, ie if I want to take a picture of an animal at a distance, how does the 2 compare??

With the price difference, I'm happy to swap lenses when I want a closeup shots, but what I cant get my head around is the full zoom?

Any help with this will be great

Thx

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I own the 55/210 and it's a great lens. I bought the 18/200 a couple weeks back and returned it. It was not as sharp as the 210 and really not worth the price difference. Convenience over picture quality was not for me.

I still like to shoot with my adapted minolta 70/210 f4

I find it sharper than the sony, harder to shoot if your not used to manual focus.

The OSS helps greatly at the long end in early morning late evening shoots.

Defiantly the 55/210

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Oh and the prices vary

You can find a used 55/210 between 250-300

18/200 600.00 plus.

New 350 and 800 respectfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Arno

Arno New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2013
    Excellent, thx guys

Think my minds now set on the 55-210, read a few review, and it does seems to be a very good lens for the money.

So guess what I'm doing over the weekend :)

5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I've never used the 18-200 but I have the 55-210. It is pretty good at 210, even wide open at 6.3. Depending on the subject you may need to manual focus if it is small and not super contrasty. I usually pick a focus point (instead of wide area) when I use this lens as it really has a tendency to focus on high contrast backgrounds. Other than that, this is an excellent lens given the price.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know if you've updated the firmware in your 55-210, Habsfan. But when I updated mine to the latest version (02), it improved immensely in focusing speed and accuracy, especially in low light.

7. Arno

Arno New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2013
    Excellent, good to know that!!

8. billybob

billybob New to TalkEmount

Sep 21, 2013
    The pics from my 55-210mm zoom lens are pretty sharp and the IQ is excellent when comparing with micro43's olympus 75-300mm Version2.

I dont have the 18-200mm for sony and i was considering it but as far as i have read about it i've changed my mind.

9. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    As far as I know, I can't update to version 02 of the lens firmware with the Nex 5N (no hybrid AF). I'm sure the would help but the update is only for 5R and 6

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I was getting ready to ask this very question. Glad (my wallet especially so) to see that the 55-210 is a perfectly capable lens. I'm looking to buy one for my wife for Christmas to compliment her 18-55. She's not a "serious" photographer but she does comment now and then that she wished she had longer reach out of her NEX 5 and I don't have anything longer than a 50mm for my NEX 6 for her to borrow.