1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica's are expensive for a reason....

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lattiboy, Aug 10, 2013.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    So, I just got a Leica Summicron-R 50/2. I had previously owned the amazing 35/2 and 90/2, but sold them because.... they're worth a lot of money.

The 50/2 is interesting as it generally the most affordable modern Leica lens.

I didn't know quite what to expect. Even at the good price I got, it seemed very expensive for a 50mm f/2 lens. I've got fantastic Minolta 50mm f/1.4 lenses I paid $50 for and perform wonderfully.

After my first few shots, I said (out loud, to no one) "This is the best lens I've ever used"

I've used a lot, but my GOD this thing!

Here is a full picture and a roughly 100% crop. No sharpening to speak of, just some tone adjustments. NEX-6 with cheap-o adapter.

Obviously, it's incredibly sharp. Sharp as anything I've used, including the Zeiss 50/1.7. More than that, it really does have a bit of a "look". The oof rendition is really something. Somehow, even at f/2 you always have a nice amount of separation.

Now, I think the prices people pay for Leica are borderline obscene considering how capable cheaper gear is, especially now.

I will say though, I sort of get the whole "Leica Man" thing. The lens is engineered beyond reason. Focus and aperture feel amazing, and it focuses very close.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Nice!! I've been curious to try a 50mm Summicron.

That might be my first rangefinder lens, once the full-frame NEX finally comes out! :D

Way to nail focus, BTW!

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That looks beautiful indeed and I don't think I can copy this rendition with my best Minolta 50 (MC 50/1.4) at f/2. Now you've got me looking for a Leica 28mm, thank you very much.

4. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's very sharp indeed!!! Is that shot wide open?

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yup, very nice

7. lattiboy

lattiboy TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Yes, this is wide open amazingly!

And FYI, this is not a rangefinder lens, it's for Leica-R slr cameras. The adapter and lens combo is quite big, but no more than most adapted lenses.

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I didn't need to see this, now you have me searching around for Leica lenses. Dangerous!!!

I need to step away from the computer.

Evil post!

9. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I'm using a few R-series lenses - a 35/2 and 60 & 100mm macros - and was curious about the 50mm. Now thanks to you I'm really interested!

Most specimens from the R-series are not as atrociously expensive as one might fear. They're not bargain basement, either, but with my 3 acquisitions thus far I have noticed a certain "search over" sensation.

If the full-frame NEX (or some other MILC) becomes a reality, I could see myself justifying an M-series rangefinder lens. Pricing on those is of course pretty shocking but unlike most contemporary gear, they seem to appreciate in value!

10. tombran

tombran TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Hey now, welcome to Leica quality. I'm using my Summicron 35 and Elmarit 90 with Novoflex adapters, (yes I bought 2, I know...)
    Simply the best lenses on the NEX7. Sold my m3 and m6 bodies last yr and not looking back. Your post now makes me want to get a 50. Yes Leica stuff is expensive, but you only buy it once, and get to use it forever. Not for nothing, but my last TV gig was "Ray Donovan", and we shot virtually 80% of it with Leica primes on the Alexa. The stuff I shot at 24p on the 7 with the Elmarit, held up nicely aside by side.

11. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    • Like Like x 6
  12. jamiesin

jamiesin TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    Wondering if anyone has any tips with regard to shooting with the leica r lenses on a nex-6 body. Particularly, any special settings that need to be tweaked in the menu.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TalkNEX mobile app

13. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Adjust Focus Peaking to taste (I keep it on the lowest possible setting) and assign MF Assist somewhere easily accessible.

14. jamiesin

Jul 20, 2013
    You leave all other settings as default? Somehow my pictures aren't coming out the way I expect :confused:

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    In what way? Are you shooting RAW or jpg? The settings you mentioned in the other thread only affect Sony SEL lenses when shooting jpgs. Post an example pic so we can better see what your issues are.

16. jamiesin

Jul 20, 2013
    I always shoot in RAW. So you mean the settings in the menu only affect jpegs? Good to know that you guys are leaving all settings in default because I shot a few pictures with all the default settings and I had a really bad purple cast. I will post a few pictures tonight when I get a chance.

17. jamiesin

Jul 20, 2013
    This is a picture that I took when I first adapted my leica R lens onto my nex-6. When looking closely and zoomed in, I found the whites were outlined with harsh purples.
    I then went to turn off some of the settings in the menu and found that it has gotten better from there.

However, you guys suggest that I should not need to modify anything and that they do not affect RAW files. I will try that and report back here :)

DSC03343.

• Like Like x 2
  18. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I know it's not even in the same league but I remember my (positive) shock the first time I used the PanaLeica 25/1.4 for m4/3. It's one hell of a fine lens. Yes Leica is expensive for a reason.

19. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Given the subject (night pic) I assume you shot with the lens wide-open. The purple outlines are almost certainly due to purple fringing, a lens defect that plagues many lenses especially when used wide-open. Adobe Lightroom has a tool to reduce it, maybe other raw processing programs can do this too. Purple fringing vanishes quickly on stopping down, but that doesn't help you in low-light circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    Yeah, but, well, that lens isn't actually a Leica! Your point about it being a great lens still stands though.

I've been playing with an old Leica Summitar 50mm f/2. Even though it's over 60 years old it still brings a certain magic, especially with a helicoid adapter. And compared to the newer Leica stuff, I could actually afford it.