1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica R vs M adapters

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by quezra, Oct 25, 2013.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Does anyone here have both adapters - could you shoot them side by side to see their relative sizes? :)

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Leica R flange distance is 47 mm, Leica M flange distance is 27.8 mm. As Nex has got fd of 18 mm the adapter for R is 29 mm tall and for M 9.8 mm tall.

• Like Like x 1
  3. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Bah who wants to do math! :p

Thanks, so roughly 3 times longer!

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Besides there is differences between lenses too. So total size is nex+adapter+lens. I believe R makes much larger package than M.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I have a few R series lenses. They are all very solid and heavy. Even the 35/2 feels like a brick!

The M-series equivalent will definitely be a lot lighter and smaller. (But you're going to pay and pay and pay for that...)

• Like Like x 1
  6. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Crap, I was thinking about exactly that 35/2 Summicron R on the a7 - is it really that heavy?

7. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    552g with caps and a UV filter. It feels like there's some lead in there. OTOH the handling is velvet smooth, the BOKEH seems great and the wide open center performance is amazing. (Can't wait to try it out on full-frame!)

8. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks, that's not exactly light, and borderline enough that I would want to try before buying. Is the quality essentially the same as M lenses then? Why are they noticeably cheaper?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

9. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I'm not sure how the R series would compare against an M series contemporary (or lenses from an earlier or later period).

I suspect the R series lenses now go for less money because it is a "dead" mount. That is to say, Leica discontinued their 35mm SLRs some time ago so there are no current cameras that you can use these lenses on without an adapter.

There appears to be no compromise in construction & handling, though. IMHO the R-series is a nice way to experience Leica optics without forking over a king's ransom.

• Like Like x 1