Leica lenses and Sony NEX-7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by will t, Aug 25, 2013.

1. will t

will t TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    hi all:

i have a NEX-7 and a set of 70's vintage Leica M lenses for it, and i use a Hawk's Factory adapter to allow the lenses to fit. the system is not perfect, but with care, i have been able to get surprisingly good results. has anyone tried using Leica R lenses with an adapter? i would like to buy a 135 and the M 135 has rangefinder "goggles" that i'm not sure can come off the lens and have the mount still work. i see on ebay and amazon that there are quite a few R adapters available, though none so far i've seen has the focus ring that the Hawk's Factory lens has, a feature i use occasionally with the M lenses. so, my questions are:

as anyone tried Leica R lenses on a NEX-7?

and if so, do they work, focus at infinity, etc?

what adapter?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Shouldn't be a problem. I believe that Jefenator is using a R macro lens with good results. R adapters probably aren't much different than any other adapter, you can spend a little, or you can spend a lot. Depends on your sensibilities and budget.
  3. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
  4. will t

will t TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    Thank you Luis. Is the R 135 really a 135mm lens using that adapter and the Sony camera or is it effectively a longer lens. On my Nex 7 with the Hawk's Factory adapter, my 50mm is more like a 75mm. Thanks again.
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    As far as R-series goes, I use the 35mm Summicron, the 60mm Macro-Elmarit and 100mm Macro-Elmar. The macros especially look and work like they were made to go with the NEX-7! :biggrin:

I got the Metabones adapter for $99. For that kind of dough, I was disappointed to see that the lens mount is rather tight, the angle is slightly off and the spacing is a bit thin (i.e. the lenses focus beyond the infinity point - better to err on that side than the other I suppose). On the positive side, it has a nice solid tripod foot which is a very good thing to have since these lenses are all rather long and heavy.

I've been tempted to upgrade to the Novoflex adapter. I'm all for going the cheap route most of the time but these lenses really do deserve the best IMHO. (OTOH, I'm sticking with what I got for now because that tripod foot is pretty much a must-have.)
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Are you aware that Novoflex delivers a tripod collar matched to their NEX adapters? It's called the ASTAT-NEX. I have one and it works quite well for me, and as a bonus it also fits the Chinese Pixco-branded adapters.
  7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    That is good to know - thanks for that!

I must confess, so long as the current adapter isn't hurting anything, I will probably always have more urgent things to be spending $350 on. ;)
  8. Bangash

Bangash New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2013
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    B.K. Bangash
    I have just bought nex6 and wanted to use Leica M lens which are not recognizes by the camera, any help please. tnx
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Under "setup" there's a "release w/o lens" option - you have to enable that. Did you try this?
  10. jamiesin

jamiesin TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I am using a few Leica-R lenses with my Nex-6 as well (50mm-f2, 90mm-f2, 135mm-f2.8). I am wondering if you guys are setting anything special under the 'settings' menu, such as: turning off Lens comp shading / Chro. Aber. / Distortion?

Any special settings that I should be aware of when using these manual Leica R lenses?

Thanks in advance :)