Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron DR

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate_Dogg, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    About a month ago I was looking around a local photography store, and decided to browse through their selection of old rangefinder lenses. Along with a bunch of Leica glass that I certainly couldn't afford, I found one that was in my price range, the 50mm f/2 Summicron DR. I was shocked to see that they had it priced for $400, and I assumed that it must have had some defect. To my surprise, it was in excellent shape, with clean glass and snappy mechanics! Without hesitation, I plopped down the cash and headed out of the store with my new toy.

So after a month of some shooting with it, here are my initial impressions:
    First, the build quality is nothing short of amazing. I love the tactile movement of both the aperture and focus ring -- it feels just as tight as I assume it did when it was brand new. As for image quality, it's certainly sharper than my Rokkor MD 50mm f/1.4, however, I'm not sure I like the bokeh quite as much as the Rokkor's. Anyways, it's been a real hoot to shoot with, and I look forward to getting to know it a little better.

Here is a shot of it coupled with my NEX-6, followed by a few images that I've snapped with it:
    DSC07943. DSC03674. DSC03679-Edit. DSC02196-Edit. DSC02256.
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Very good find... I like the colors of these, well done!
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    That a nice score for a DR. Takes a nice pic too. ;)
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Nice!!! Love that 3rd one (dog photo) :thumbup:
  5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Excellent. I really like the colours too.
  6. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    That's an amazing deal! The dog photos are excellent, enjoy the DR.
  7. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    ROAM? My very favourite MTB film!!!

400$ for 50/2... Leica isn´t so cheap lens... My Soviet copies of CZ sonnar 50/2, Jupiters 8, cost less than 30$ each :D But leica is leica...
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Interesting - thanks for sharing!
    I have been curious to try the old SLR version of this (mostly just because they're often a bit less expensive used and I already have the adapter).
    If it's anything like the couple of old R lenses I've already tried, I would expect exquisite build quality and a subtle yet measurable edge in optical performance.
    I used to yearn for greater speed, but lately, I think I'd be quite content with a 50/2 that has great BOKEH and clean center renderings, wide open.
  9. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Well it is a Leica lens...It's what I would expect. I never had a bad Leica lens when I was using the Leica rangefinders and I had quite a number of lenses. Some were better than others, none were bad.
    And I like the image quality you show here! Great find.