Legacy telephoto primes?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jcdoss, Jul 7, 2013.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    What are you guys using for MF legacy telephoto primes in the 200mm or greater range? How do they handle, and what kinds of images are you getting out of them?
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Right now I'm really not using MF lenses for those focal lengths. I do have a Yashica 75-200 (only because I already had it before I bought the 5N), but the SEL55210 works quite well @ the long end and is much lighter than MF alternatives.

My 300mm Pentacon lens that I use around the house seems to be having infinity focus issues lately and it weighs 2 short tons so it never leaves the yard. It works very well for anything less than 50 feet or so away. The infinity issue seems to be adapter related, but I haven't nailed it down yet.

I'm considering a legacy 80-400 to replace both of them, since I don't have anything longer than 300, but that's still in the thinking stages. It will be heavy, but much more compact than the Pentacon (which is actually a medium format lens).
  3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I recently purchased an old Vivitar (Komine) 200mm f/3.5. It has excellent bokeh, but is a bit heavy for hand-held shots in low light. Here are a few I took from a tripod: http://A few flowery things.

4. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    I recently picked up a Focal 80-200mm f/3.5 as part of another deal. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet, though I have taken it on a few hikes, this thing is so heavy. I got a Focal 28mm f/2.8 in the same deal and it's super soft, I'm hoping that doesn't carry to the larger lens. Even stuff that is peaked very well on the screen is almost out of focus upon review in light room, but I digress, I was going to start another thread about this later.

All that being said, as much as I don't want to spend the extra cash for the Sony 55-210. I think I'm going to at some point. The weight factor alone on a 5-15 mile hike will be well worth it. Every legacy, either prime or zoom, seem to be on the heavy side.
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Although not as long, another good legacy prime telephoto is the Vivitar 135mm/2.8. Mine produces very nice photos, and can be had for under $40 in most instances. There is also a Close Focus version of this lens, but it is rare, and the ones I've seen have usually been $100+.