Legacy profiles for LR

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by southy, Oct 6, 2015.

1. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Latest update for Lightroom CC and 6 adds some legacy lens profiles. I find it interesting that Adobe are looking after those who are using equipment that many consider obsolete. :thumbup:

Update lens list.
    Canon FD 28 mm f/2.8
    Canon FD 50 mm f/1.4
    Canon FD 135 mm f/2.5 S.C.
    Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 45 mm f/2.8 (Contax 645)
    Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35 mm f/3.5 (Contax 645)
    Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar 55 mm f/1.8 (M42)
    Fujifilm Fujinon 50 mm f/1.4 (M42)
    Fujifilm Fujinon 55 mm f/1.8 (M42)
    Minolta MC Rokkor 58 mm f/1.2
    Minolta MC Rokkor -PF 55 mm f/1.7
    Minolta MC Rokkor -X PG 50 mm f/1.4
    Minolta MC Tele Rokkor -PE 200 mm f/4.5
    Minolta MC W.Rokkor -HG 35 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MD 50 mm f/2
    Minolta MD Celtic 135 mm f/3.5
    Minolta MD Rokkor -X 45 mm f/2
    Minolta MD Rokkor -X 50 mm f/1.7
    Minolta MD W.Rokkor -X 28 mm f/2.8
    Minolta MD W.Rokkor -X 28 mm f/2.8
    Nikon Nikkor 24 mm f/2.8 AI
    Nikon Nikkor 50 mm f/1.4 AIS
    Nikon Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8 AI
    Nikon Nikkor-H Auto 50 mm f/2
    Nikon Nikkor-P.C Auto 105 mm f/2.5 AI
    Nikon Nikkor-S.C Auto 50 mm f/1.4
    Nikon Nikkor-UD Auto 20 mm f/3.5 AI

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Wow - I actually have 4 or 5 of those lenses! :cool:

I tried profile corrections with my FE primes and found that I generally prefer not to use them. (I actually find a "perfect" absence of vignetting to be slightly eerie.)

Still, it'll be fun to at least try them out, see what they might do. Maybe not quite worth subscribing to CC just yet. (Spend $120 a year so I can audition the profiles on my $15 lens...)

3. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah I'm the same I don't use the correction that often but some modern lenses are getting designed in a way corrections are a necessary evil. Given most legacy glass were designed prior to digital correction I'm not sure how much these will change but certainly interesting to try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I was very surprised to see them rolling out those profiles. I'd love to see some before/after samples from those of you with the included lenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's a surprise and I like the way Adobe is thinking! There's even one Minolta lens on the list I don't own, the 58/1.2. Quickly tried out what happens with the Minolta MD 50/2 and I agree with Jeff, the vignetting correction looks unnatural. And for other lenses you can always use the lens profiling tools to make your own profiles, I've done that for all lenses I use regularly and that need geometric distortion correction. BTW, the lack of profiling tools for geometric distortion is the main reason I don't use Capture One.

Hey Sony, what about giving us something in the camera to record EXIF data for legacy glass? That would close the loop and make life so much easier.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Why don't you own that? They do go for crazy money these days, I guess that is a good reason to move it on. But have you tried it and liked it?

This would be awesome. Would be good if you could even set the aperture on the camera so it matches what was selected on the lens, and record that too.

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Can't bring myself to cough up hundreds of euros for a lens I most likely won't use a lot, if at all. I've had a Nikkor 50/1.2 which I found almost unuseable wide open due to the general flare and low contrast, it only became very good at f/2 but there the Minolta MC 50/1.4 is equally sharp, even better in the corners, and only a bit less contrasty, so I freed up 300 euros by selling the Nikkor. These 1.2 lenses are also relatively heavy and my keeper rate is low with family snapshots due to the extremely shallow depth of field.

A 1.2 lens is only worthwhile when it's useable wide-open IMHO and I haven't seen such a lens because I don't like flare, low contrast, purple fringing and glow around highlights. The image samples on the 'net of the Minolta 58/1.2 show all of this. Bokeh? Don't care very much as long as it's not very ugly. And if I have to stop it down to f/2 I'm better off with a 1.4 lens at the same aperture: sharpness is equal between the better lenses and weight, size and price are in favour of the 1.4 lenses. I think I'd have to spend over 300 euros for a well-kept Minolta 58/1.2 and then I'll spring for a used FE 55/1.8: autofocus, EXIF data and excellent already wide-open.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Here are some for the lenses I have test shots of made with the A7. Most of them aren't the American Rokkor-X versions but the European Rokkor models, supposedly making no difference.

Most noticeable is the vignetting correction in the Adobe profiles, something I don't do for my own profiles. The geometric distortion correction becomes visible when directly switching between before and after. Click on the pictures for full-resolution images.

Canon FDn 28mm 1:2.8 @ f/8 before
    i-cs26vrR-X3.

Canon FDn 28mm 1:2.8 @ f/8 after Adobe profile
    i-qLcVKVL-X3.

Canon FDn 50mm 1:1.4 @ f/2 before
    i-mJTPJhb-X3.

Canon FD 50mm 1:1.4 @ f/2 after Adobe profile
    i-3tngvBW-X3.

Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50mm 1:1.4 @ f/2 before
    i-vVXvp6X-X3.

Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50mm 1:1.4 @ f/2 after Adobe profile
    i-sbvZv4T-X3.

Minolta MC W.Rokkor-HG 35mm 1:2.8 @ f/5.6 before
    i-jbCpfvm-X3.

Minolta MC W.Rokkor-HG 35mm 1:2.8 @ f/5.6 after own profile
    i-D7pZXjz-X3.

Minolta MC W.Rokkor-HG 35mm 1:2.8 @ f/5.6 after Adobe profile
    i-jKfRdRb-X3.

Minolta MD 50mm 1:2 @ f/8 before
    i-rFLt8CF-X3.

Minolta MD 50mm 1:2 @ f/8 after own profile
    i-GMJpq2P-X3.

Minolta MD 50mm 1:2 @ f/8 after Adobe profile
    i-8RBFtTs-X3.

Minolta MD Rokkor 45mm 1:2 @ f/4 before
    i-zHqD79D-X3.

Minolta MD Rokkor 45mm 1:2 @ f/4 after Adobe profile
    i-WSXNjqd-X3.

Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1:1.7 @ f/4 before
    i-kqCzFVf-X3.

Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1:1.7 @ f/4 before Adobe profile
    i-kqCzFVf-X3.

Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1:1.7 @ f/4 after Adobe profile
    i-BvpjpQG-X3.

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm 1:2.8 @ f/5.6 before
    i-HdsPV6D-X3.

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm 1:2.8 @ f/5.6 after Adobe profile
    i-MTSnRZX-X3.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    My Canon FL 55/1.2 behaves much as you describe, though I used to use it at f/1.4 and was pretty happy with the results in nightclubs.

paul-1.

It becomes a performance BEAST at f/5.6 - scary sharp, everywhere. But, like you, I found that the right 1.4 lens (like my all-round favorite the MC Rokkor-X PG 50/1.4) works great from f/2 on down and is much more practical.

Of course, none of the legacy 50s have seen much use since I got the FE55.

• Like Like x 1
  10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just put up a request for it on the Sony forum. Please support it if you agree.

11. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I did a kudos?

I actually like the vingeting of my legacy lenses in most instances. Wouldn't want to remove it. Geometric correction sounds great, but they are missing the Rokkors that distort the most.

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Agree. Adobe took the most popular ones I guess, or the ones that one of the team members happens to have in his collection :).

13. JasonAllison76

JasonAllison76 New to TalkEmount

Oct 12, 2015
    Westchester, NY
    Jason
    Thanks for posting this! I am a new A7 shooter who's using a Canon FD 28mm and 50mm and hadn't realized Adobe updated these. Awesome stuff.

14. aliengrove

aliengrove TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 20, 2016
    Lancashire
    Jon Bowles
    I didn't realise these were available. I will try them out.
    As for the removal of vignetting, you can always add it after doing the correction.

15. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Maybe this information someone can find useful:

I have managed to install latest lens and camera profiles from downloaded ACR (from Adobe site) in older LR. You need to open ACR installer EXE with some Zip extract GUI client, like 7zip (this is what I use), inside you can find LensProfiles folder. Just need to copy complete folder to:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles

I was missing Rokinon (Samyang or Wallimex) profile for fisheye 8mm. After restart of LR everything is shown. Works perfect!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1