1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Legacy lens decisions!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Orange, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hi all. Some help/advice from you knowledgeable, friendly lot!

I'm selling my 16-50mm PZ as I want to go back to fixed aperture primes, hence choosing NEX.
    Initially I thought about getting 16mm SONY pancake/19mm Sigma, a 30mm Sigma plus a 50mm legacy lens at a later date.
    The reason is I can get the 2 native options for around £200.

However, I'm considering going ALL legacy! Now I've no problem with MF, and although I'm new to NEX, the focus peaking I've tried so far (with the 16-50mm) is impressive.

So I was thinking along the lines of, 28mm/35mm FD f/2.8, 50mm FD f1.8/, plus maybe a cheap, 2nd hand pancake/Sigma 19mm for the wider stuff.
    I've decided on FD as I'm ex-Canon owner, but am open to suggestions, though I only want to buy one adapter (for now) so they all need to be from the same manufacturer.

I know it seems I'm answering my own questions, but by writing it down here, and opening up my thoughts for alternative suggestions/opinions, it will help me decide before splashing out!
    What do you all think?

The focal lengths mentioned above are fine for me, with the exception that I may want something longer than a 50mm later on, maybe macro, mainly for portraits & macro.

I look forwrd to your crazy suggestions!! ;)

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's almost exactly what I did initially, I bought a NEX-6 and a Sigma 19/2.8 (which is really great BTW) because my Minolta collection doesn't contain a 20mm or 17mm. Regrettably I sold the Minolta 20/2.8 because I didn't think it was sharp enough. From my collection I use the MD 28/2 a lot, it's my standard lens. Don't rule out zooms; I use a 35-70/3.5 because it offers me 70mm at great quality, there is no prime option for 70mm in the Minolta MC/MD line-up. For indoor low-light shots a fast 50 or 55 is nice, I use a 50/1.4 at f/2.

The NEX is great for legacy glass because of its peaking and the electronic first curtain which prevents vibration very effectively. Using an adapter also offers the option of adapters with a tripod mount; mounting the NEX itself on a tripod is a joke. I know almost everybody buys cheapo adapters and I did that for my µ4/3 cameras as well, but this time I opted for a Novoflex and I even included the equally expensive tripod adapter for it. Now I have a high-quality digital back for my Minolta lenses with an optional tripod mount, and that seems to work well for me so far. If you want to switch a lot between native lenses and FD ones, I'd buy a bunch of cheap adapters so that each lens has an E-mount, it makes life so much easier (did that for my µ4/3 setup).

It's my experience that almost all legacy glass needs to be stopped down at least 1 stop to deliver good image quality, most are sub-par wide-open.

Crazy suggestions? Not too many I'm afraid. If you like macro, you're in heaven for little money. Manual focus works great on a NEX and these lenses go for not too much money.

3. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Sounds a little similar to my setup (see my signature). I like having the Sigma 19mm to have at least one AF lens, and for video (which I haven't really gotten into yet). And it's a great performer! I find I use my CV 35mm the majority of the time. My Nikon 28mm doesn't get much use, mainly because I'm not such a big fan of the focal length, but that's really personal preference.

Can't go wrong with those FD's. I know Minolta's are also really popular around here, though personally I've never used one. I really like the Voigtlander lineup. I like the feel they give photos, and I like the fact that both the lenses and the adapter are tiny and light as well (the CV 35 and adapter is about half the size of the Nikon 28 and adapter).

Bottom line is, legacies are generally cheap enough that you could certainly try some out. If you don't like them, chances are you'll be able to sell them for what you paid for them. I know I'm not alone when I say I really enjoy using them. Makes the process feel less robotic for me, which I love!

4. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    All good points thank you for the input guys, food for thought. It's all helpful so thank you very much!

Sounds like a good idea then, going for the Sigma 19mm/SONY 16mm, then a legacy 28mm & 50mm.
    35-70mm is a good idea later down the line as they too go for peanuts on eBay. I never even thought about an adapter on each lens, great practical idea, I think I will go for this option as I've found adapters on eBay for £10 each.

I too like the idea of keeping one lens AF, it's always handy, and good for video as mentioned. I'm not overly concerned with chromatic this & distortion that, most modern lenses are fine for someone like me. So I'm really not bothered between the Sigma or SONY, it'll be whichever is cheapest on eBay! Though I do like the idea of the metal barrel of the pancake, if not the sliver finish lol! Besides they're both loved equally on here, just depends who you talk to.

Can't wait for my lens to sell now so I can go shopping! Heck I may even get a flash, but that's a whole 'nother thread hahaha!

Cheers guys much appreciated input ;)

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Can't go wrong with an MD 50 1.7 ;) (love mine and I've been using it 90% since I bought it - even made a thread for it here :D)
    I'm now also looking for a mid zoom lens (35-70 etc). Lots of those on ebay but unfortunately not many MD ones :( (I want only an MD one)

6. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    The Sigma 19mm is £99 at SRS (brand new with 3 year Sigma UK warranty)
    Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Lens - Sony E Fit - Only £99.00 - SRS Microsystems

As for 28mm I have the Canon FD 2.8 and the Vivitar (Komine) Close Focus 2.8 and have no complaints about either one. They were around £20 each on ebay - the Vivitar comes in various mounts and adapter are £8 to £10 on ebay.

The Minolta MD 35-70 f3.5 (constant maximum aperture version with macro switch) is excellent too.
    35-70mm F3.5 MD by Minolta - Ffordes Photographic

For macro also look at the plastic fantastic Cosina 100mm (also made under various other names) - the manual focus version is cheaper and the one you want for Nex (mine was around £40) - make sure it comes with the adapter for 1:1 macro, otherwise it's 2:1 - so having the adapter gives you both options.
    One listed here: 100mm Macro True 1:1 - f/3.5 constant aperture for Minolta MD - Cosina with caps 0043325437571 | eBay

7. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Ffordes have a couple:
    Ffordes Photographic

8. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    This explains your avatar!
    Cheers for the reply bud ;)

9. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    applemint, thanks for the ffordes link, not come across them before and they got 50mm f/1.4's in pretty cheap!
    Cheers for all the links and advice much appreciated ;)

10. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I really like my Minolta 50mm 1.4 too.
    Just take a look at some special sites on the net like the The Rokkor Files to get more information about legacy lineups.

Although I like playing around with my 5N in that way I would NEVER EVER sell all AF lenses, my wife would KILL me!!!

By the way someone in the forum is thinking about the 16-50 I think, perhaps you can get in contact with him (https://www.talkemount.com/f11/there-compact-18-55mm-lense-nex-f3-2040/)

11. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Hmmm...I am a big fan of Mobolta Rokkors. I'd suggest the 50/1.7, 50/1.4, 24/2.8 and 100/2.5 for primes and the 35-70/3.5 macro for zooms. Some other very fun lenses are the Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus and Vivitar 70-210 macro (both Komine made).

That said most legacy glass works well with the NEX.

12. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I beg to disagree. I'm a 50mm legacy user (had about 12 different makes) and shot them all wide open. Unless you want top notch corner performance, no issue.

da1335e1da7814b153359573d2cebd65_d66.

13. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Thanks for all the suggestions people. All this information has pointed me to something else I hadn't thought about, a 35mm prime rather than the more obvious (and more common) 28mm, as this brings me closer to a 50mm equiv' focal length, which is something I would prefer. Thank you all ;)

14. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Thanks nianys, although I'm no expert, the amount of corner drop off (if any) is not an issue for me as I'm more interested on the photo rather than ultimate IQ.
    With the Minoltas, is infinity to the far right or far left, as look down at it once it's mounted?

15. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    You mean if you can use infinity distance setting with the lens?
    That depends onthe adapter you use.
    Or am I miss understand something...? ;-)

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    No, he means as you look down on the lens as it is mounted on the camera is infinity on the right or the left of the focus ring. In other words does the focus ring rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise toward the infinity setting?

On my m-rokkor 90 infinity is on the right, but I don't know if the slr lenses are the same or not.

17. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    No Grisu_HDH, no! :rolleyes: hahaha!

I mean where is the infinity marker on the lens physically, to the right or to the left, as you look down at it.
    If you're wondering why I am asking, my old Canon stuff always focuses with infinity to the right, whereas I had a Sigma lens which turned the opposite way, though as I mainly used AF back then, it wasn't an issue.

As I am going to be investing in MF glass as soon as I sell my current lens, I would prefer if they all focussed in the same direction! Is this normal quirkiness or is it just me?!?! It's not an issue with old MF cameras, but with Focus Peaking I imagine it's a bit of a pain when you change from one lens to another...

Thoughts? ...

18. Orange

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Cheers Bimjo!

19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Depends of course what one thinks is good enough and that also depends on the use case. Almost all of my lenses improve significantly on stopping down, especially in terms of contrast and reduction of glow around highlights. I wouldn't use any lens wide-open for landscapes, unless I was looking for a special effect, but I can understand the use of the largest aperture for portraits for instance.

20. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Like so, so it's the same as with Canon lenses. And indeed, I also find it important to have the same direction for MF lenses so I won't easily use Nikon or Pentax lenses because they have infinity at the left of the scale. I also wouldn't want to mix lenses with the opposite position for maximum aperture, I find that even more annoying.

20110412-003-L.