1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Legacy glass is addictive !!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Sep 10, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Omg, the beauty of using older lenses !!

I think what I'm getting addicted to (and I would assume many of us similarly), is not so much the output, but the sheer way legacy glasses changes the whole photographic process (especially on the NEX).
    I'm basically an aperture mode shooter. I love the convenience of auto ISO when noise is not an object (it's definitely not one on the 5N). I use exposure compensation very liberally. I need fastcd reliable AF as toddlers and animals are my primary subjects. I'm trigger happy and tend to make about 1K pictures/a month.

Well, all of that is upside down with legacy glass. For reliability and convenience, I switched to fixed ISO and Manual mode (I find exp comp a little finicky on the NEX compared to the ease of the GX-1), and manual is much more straight forward. Manually focusing imposes a slower and more thought rythm, and I do believe slowing down is very beneficial for the digital shooter, who has either never had, or lost, film habits.

Right now I'm building up a lens collection and have gathered the following, some of which are already for sale, some not delivered yet :

CCTV 35/1.7
    FD 50/1.8 (for sale)
    FD 135/2.5 (for sale)
    OM 50/1.8 (haven't tried yet due to pending adapter)
    OM 50/1.4 (to be delivered)
    OM 100/2.8 (to be delivered)

I WtB a PEN F 38/1.8 as a slightly longer than normal prime.

I've also tried an Auto Reflecta 55/1.7 before (which was pretty good).
    All in all I've never shot (other than making sure it works) the SEL18-55 that I bought as a travel lens.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Oh dear, looks like you've well and truly caught the NEX bug! :)

This has always been my sentiment but I have kept silent about it. I'm glad to hear it now from more and more people like yourself. Undeniably AF has its merits and uses, but it 'disengages' the photographer to some degree (varies per person). Eliminating the need for deeper understanding and mastery of any activity will also somewhat remove the sense of reward, accomplishment, and satisfaction.

When film went away and digital AF came in, I got rid of my SLR and that was that. I lost my enthusiasm for photography. I've had various compacts and access to a DSLR but I used them only if and when I had to (for work or family gatherings). My passion had died along with film.

Then came the NEX!

To be honest, I only bought the NEX-5N as an upgrade to replace my aging Sony Cybershot DSC-W120 compact. Weeks after I got the 5N, I haven't even heard the term 'legacy glass' and I didn't know that just about any MF lens can be easily adapted to it. I had no idea that the NEX would be instrumental in rekindling my love for photography. What I like about it is that brings the best of both worlds. It has all the latest technological capabilities, but it also allows the user the option not to use it.

At the moment I'm fascinated with lenses from the 1950-60s... flaws and all. They're very challenging to use, which is what I like. Below is possibly the most humble of all lenses available, but oddly enough, it's the most enjoyable pairing I've had to date. :)

Industar61.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    That's an Industar 61LD right? AND AN OCTOPUS STRAP? Are we related? That lens is capable of some very interesting images. Very sharp and contrasty as I recall. I remember preferring it to the Jupiter-8. I have a Helios44M that I am using right now. That is one very cool lens. Big as h*ll and built like a tank but very cool none the less.

4. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yes...
    Yes...
    Well, taste wise looks like it... considering that I too have a Helios44!

:D

(My signature has links to my reviews of both lenses)

5. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    You're transformation is complete, welcome to the darkside :p

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree with you mates, I'm so fascinated with my nex5n and nex7, and I've become addicted to legacy glass, look like an addiction to try other lens then later and other one, I try to investigate more and more about them, but there is a point in our favor, we can find an ebay endless legacy lenses at an affordable price, it seems that no value any of these magnificent older lenses and decades have passed an forgotten them, thanks to the nex can revive them and use them. Always used the AF and was a pain in ass initially to use MF, I could see in this forum some excellent photos with old lenses and I said to myself, what the hell is happening here? ..... why can't do those same pictures? and I am here, I've done a lot of MF and let me tell them something guys I'm fascinated with the nex, my shots are usually mode M,A and Raw ....

I currently use my old Minolta Rokkor much and the kit 18-55, but I always carry my 55-210mm, most of my shots are with legacy lenses and now I have the 28mm f2.8 Industar 69 that I love is ultrathin I think it's a good combo for nex7 or nex5n.
    as always said I'm new to photography and I love, it's a passion that juts me to find and learn more every day....

This lens is on my mind, I hope to win it on ebay, I read about it and some are radioactive but who cares if it is very good for the B / W photography, : ( , but only two questions:
    that the difference between the 52mm f2.8, 53mm f2.8 and f2.8 55mm?

Could you show me some pictures?

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I think they are just small variations by different factories because they were used for various Russian cameras. All I remember reading is that the 55mm Industar-61 L/D is the best version, so that's what I bought.

Industar-61 - Camerapedia

INDUSTAR 55mm f/2.8 N-61 L/D

I'm currently bidding on a 28mm Industar-69... this is your fault, lol! :eek:

8. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thnks mate.......

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin

The OM 50/1.4 and OM 100/2.8 are both very nice. The 100 is very compact (barely larger than the 50). If you want to stay with OM lenses you might consider the 24/2.8. It's a lovely lens, sharp, very compact and it gives you a nice 36mm equivalent FOV. Make sure you post images and impressions. It'll be really interesting to get your take on these lenses. Olympus also makes a really nice 135/2.8. I say that because my Konica 135/3.2 is surprisingly useful on the NEX and as I recall the Om version is also compact like its siblings.

The other lens you might consider is a Pen-F 100/3.5. It's a superb lens and very reasonably priced.

10. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    I'm more addicted to old lenses, lol ...
    :rolleyes:

11. mt2005

mt2005 New to TalkEmount

Jun 14, 2012
    Hi Dioptrix,

Happy to own this same Industar lens, as new as yours :)
    Find the color & transition is very good
    i find this lens even easier to use than the Voigt 35 1.4
    Also happy with Pentacon 50 1.8 for portrait

just few thing would like to share

MT

Industar61. [/QUOTE]

12. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Cheers MT! It's a real joy to use that's for sure... :)

13. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    You're not addicted until you have multiple copies of the same lens.
    I have 2x Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, one is pre-AI P.C version, another is AIS with the built-in hood. Excellent portrait lens.
    I also have two Takumar 55mm f/1.8, one is SMC, the other Super-Multi-Coated :)

14. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Oh oh... I didn't think I was, but I've got two copies of the Mir-1... :eek:

15. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    My sentiments exactly, sir! I refer to it as my P&S coma - the 11 years my MF prime lenses spent in darkness. My first digital - tiny Canon ELPH - effectively mothballed my film SLR. The passion didn't die - I certainly had my fun with the P&Ss but I eventually realized something had gone missing. Getting a more "serious" DSLR with a nice walkaround AF zoom only got me part of the way home.

Unlike you, I knew all about the "legacy" capabilities when I pulled the trigger on getting my NEX-7. Soon as that left hand felt the manual focus and aperture rings, I felt substantially re-engaged with the process. Alas, I quickly discovered that in order to appease the 7's insatiable appetite for lens resolution, I had some practicing and re-learning to do!

Ironically, I figured that the NEX would be great because I probably wouldn't have to buy any lenses. (Kind of like when I got into music and figured all I need is a guitar and I'm set. LOL)

And that's when lens addiction set in. All I ever used to need was my Nikkor 24, 35 and 50 - 3 lenses. Now I employ 5 different lens mounts! In addition to the Nikkors, I've got a Canon lens system (17, 35, 50, 55) and a Minolta system (24, 28, 50, 135). I've got more "nifty fifties" than I can keep track of. I haven't bought two copies of the same model yet but I'm sure that's coming soon.

Oh, well - there are worse habits. (At least I can re-sell these things...)

16. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    That all sounds eerily familiar

17. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I'm not totally comfortable with my lens addiction. I've found a steady rythm of buying and reselling what I don't want to play with any longer. I try to buy smart, which allows me to price to sell and yet not lose any money.
    Expect to see a beautiful Rollei and superfast Porst on the board anytime now ;)

18. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Yep - if my lens buying pattern follows my other acquisition patterns, I'll have definitely way more than I really need. But an outflow will commence at some point.

19. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Heh my wife tells me that my vivitar 28/2 has arrived at home but I'll only see it on Monday. As slippery slopes go, its the first lens I've bought that is the exact focal length and aperture as one I already have. So the path to hell is clearly laid out before me. :p The other issue is spending more and more money to get "perfection", which could be in the form of the Zeiss 32/1.8 or worse, the Konica 50/1.2 or RX1... Heck today I almost bought the Nokton 50/1.1 here in Brussels just because it was so much cheaper than Singapore

20. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    congrats mate.