1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LED panels for weddings and receptions. Awesome? OR Just Plain Annoying?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by OldNoob, Dec 12, 2014.

1. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    LED panels for weddings and receptions. Awesome? OR Just Plain Annoying?
    I like the the low cost and that the camera can meter using preexisting light as opposed to a TTL HSS that might not always be spot on.
    The down side is when i have seen these things at wedding receptions ,, they seem to be distracting to the flow of the spirit of the event. People often turn and stare at it with a look of bewilderment like a dear in the headlights.
    What's your take?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, not a fan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bartjeej

bartjeej TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 8, 2014
    I think it'd help if the light was warm instead of a really cold intense glare, but in general, I'd say use with caution or not at all. Definitely not something to keep on all the time!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    I very intensely hate them. It screams unprofessional to me. The look is something Im not fond of either...My opinion is that if youre going into the wedding photography business then get your shit together and learn the craft. Leave as little as you can to the camera, measure the light of the place youre going into and adjust your MANUAL flash accordingly. A constant light is a coward copout. WAlking in there in P mode or even A mode and hoping the metering and ttl system takes care of the rest makes you not worth 1/3 of whatever it is you charged.
    Sorry bout the rant, i feel strongly about this...

• Like Like x 2
  5. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I use two or three off camera flashes at receptions. I have them in china lantern type umbrellas with blackout fabric behind so there isn't a big flash onto the walls behind them.

When I shot Canon i also had a speedlite on the camera that I bounced over my shoulder to a wall. Receptions and churches are places where the ISO has to be high. Then set the camera manually and use flash to "subtly" add to the ambient.

Using Fuji X system now I don't bother with flash except at the reception.

I've got an A7II coming this week so may take it along to see how it does in church and reception.

http://dmwfotos.com/weddings/index.php This will give you an idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Just no.