1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leaving Nikon for Sony

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by MikeyIdaho, Mar 2, 2014.

1. MikeyIdaho

MikeyIdaho TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Well I joined this forum because I pre-ordered my a6000 after a couple dozen hours of mirrorless camera research. Forced me to leave Nikon since the 1 series wasn't worth buying which saddened me since I was fairly heavily invested in Nikon (relative to my income). Had been leaving my d5200 and lenses at home more and more simply because of the size unless I knew for a fact I'd be photographing something. Switching to mirrorless first and foremost for the size and also to keep up on what I see as an exciting technological advancement in photography. Even when I first bought my dslr I loved it but the whole mirror and pentaprism thing seemed very outdated.

Just deciding on lenses now so I can have them before my a6000 ships but at least I know it from my dslr exactly what I love to shoot. Right now I'm probably going to get the zeiss 16-70mm f/4 as my first all around lens. Then a paycheck or two down the line I have two options in mind. I could go Sony and get the 10-18mm and the 50mm 1.8, both with OSS which would be nice. Second much more expensive option would be Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 and upcoming 50mm f/2.8 macro...neither have OSS but I would gain in quality and a stop more and macro ability which I have yet to get into.

Also need to find a small external flash simply for bouncing light indoors to preserve the camera battery. Looking forward to getting involved in this forum. Only been really into photography for roughly a year but I'm a big researcher and reader, so my knowledge is far more advanced than my experience at the moment haha.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I would suggest the zeiss 24mm 1.8. You can get it used for almost 1/2 the original price. There is just something about that lens that works for it.

The 50 1.8 is has very good IQ but autofocus is slow. Not sure if the a6000 will make it perform any better. It hunts a lot in low light.

I'm sure Poki would chime in on the zeiss 12mm. He uses it faithfully.

I started with the nex 5n, then the nex 6 then the A7 and now the A7r. I still have all but the A7.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MikeyIdaho

Mar 1, 2014
    Thanks for the input deadbear. I definitely have seen the love that everyone has for that Zeiss 24mm, helps that it's a focal length I would use a lot more often compared to the 50mm. I love my landscapes and architecture so wide and ultra wide are my favorites. As long as I get a good copy of that zeiss 16-70mm to still give me some range.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TalkEmount mobile app

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You may find some of your Nikon lenses work well with the A6000 too, if you haven't already disposed of them. One of the great things about these cameras is spending all your money on legacy glass. :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeyIdaho

Mar 1, 2014
    Yah sadly I sold all my Nikon glass Woodworks, wanted to get native glass for the a6000 for the size and being optimized for the platform. And I just wanted a fresh start. I will miss my 85mm especially, sharpest lens ever lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TalkEmount mobile app

6. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    The 10-18 is very good, I am very satisfied with it, the touit is probably sharper but lacks zoom and oss. I don't own the sony 50 but reviews for the 50 have been excellent. If you don't need the macro there is probably no need for the zeiss. For almost the price of the touit 12 and 50, you can get the sony 50, 10-18 and sony/zeiss 24. Tough decisions...

• Like Like x 1
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MikeyIdaho

Mar 1, 2014
    Yah Fundadores most likely I'll end up with the 10-18mm since on my d5200 I had the 10-24mm so I've never had a prime ultra wide and am used to some zoom versatility. I did have a 35mm and 85mm 1.8s so I do want at least one good prime to fall back on for higher sharpness and bokeh and low light, was thinking the 50mm would be a good middle ground from what I as used to shooting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TalkEmount mobile app