1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Leave M43 for A6500?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by erb3742, Jan 8, 2018.

1. erb3742

erb3742 TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 8, 2018
    6 years ago I switched from Canon to Olympus with the release of the EM-5 and have thoroughly enjoyed all the great glass for M43. I've been a member on the sister site for years.

Now with a toddler at home I am also dabbling with some video and C-AF is one area that M43 seems to lag behind.

Given that I am primarily shooting pictures of the family, video clips, etc. has anyone made the switch to the A6500 and can share their results? Also, since I typically shoot around the house, better low light performance is always a plus. Do I just have GAS or would I be better served in the Sony ecosystem?

2. tino84

tino84 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    How many lenses do you have for m4/3?

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Dare I say, GH5?
    In case you have a lot of great m4/3 glass.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Some youtube reviewers (TCSTV a.o.) have some reservations about AF-C with video of the GH5 so better check that out before getting one.

5. erb3742

Jan 8, 2018
    I have a number of great primes, 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 75/1.8 and the 12-40 Pro Zoom. I mainly use the 25mm, the 45mm and the zoom.

I saw some of those videos and the result are pretty disappointing. That has me wondering if long term having better AF would better suit my needs for both stills and video.

6. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I don't find the jump to M43 to Sony APS-C that large in regards to image quality. The C-AF on the other hand does help increase keepers though, but you do so at an increase in lens size. You have a very good M43 lens kit right now. I still shoot my kids with M43 and they're 4 and 7. Even on my Sony FF kit and A7 II, I still have a hard time catching their movements using C-AF, just an FYI.

7. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I wouldn't. M43 glass is so much better and more compact compared to the aps-c lens selection from Sony. I have the em5mkii and I use it for my kids movies and it's incredible. The 5 axis stabilization is like having a steady cam rig on every shot. It's small enough to bring everywhere too. Take a look at the link below. It's a little melancholy but it's the only one I have public at the moment lol
    Movies - fonsecafoto

8. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    Are you still shooting with the E-M5? If so I would suggest trying a newer body first. Even the 10II I use felt like a substantial upgrade from the em5 and the gx7 I previously used.
    I would look at a used E-M1. I've seen several for $400 lately.
    Otherwise maybe add a used A6000 with a 50 1.8 to your current kit.

9. erb3742

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks for all the feedback. I picked up a used E-M1 that I am enjoying. Agree with all the comments on the great M43 glass, not going to make the jump just yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.