1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Leather case for NEX-6

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mingus2112, Jun 24, 2014.

1. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    About to pull the trigger on a NEX-6 and am going to be looking for a leather half case to give it a bit more heft. I originally wanted to get Jim Buchanan's palm grip, but he's no longer making them. I emailed him hoping he had something still lying around - but nothing. I also saw a battery grip for the NEX that looks a little TOO bulky and plasticky looking for my taste. Then I saw a few shots of people's NEX-6/7 with half leather cases that have a bit of a base on them with a cutout for the battery door. Looks like that might be just the thing.

So what does everyone have for a half case and where did they get it? Likes / Dislikes?

-James

2. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    When I had a 6, I had a Gariz that I bought on eBay from S. Korea. At first I was a bit shy about this case, mostly because of the extra height at the bottom. I probably used it about 50% of the time ... wore it when I went out and wanted just a little extra protection. As time went on, I tended to use it when I had a bigger lens mounted and then it felt just right. If I was using a smaller lens I usually left the case off. I do feel that the quality of materials and workmanship are outstanding. While quite pricey, IMO there is no substitute for the feel, smell and look of quality leather (and as most of you know, "PU Leather" is just a deceptive marketing description for fake leather and contains no actual leather).

3. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Got my NEX-6 and am rethinking the leather case. I really like the feel of the rubber grip already on the NEX and am not sure the smooth leather would be as comfortable. At $90, I wouldn't mind paying for one if I was sure. . .but it's an expensive experiment. Are there any other grip alternatives that preserves or replace the rubber on the camera and are a bit cheaper?
    -James

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another vote for the Gariz half case...have them on NEX-7's and I abhor the price...but they do indeed add a lot of bulk which to me is really the selling point if you have large hands as I do.
    In addition, I've read too many posts about the Sony rubber grips separating / coming loose from NEX bodies with use and the half case protects against that as well.

5. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Of course this is a matter of personal preference, but IMHO the leather feel/grip of the Gariz is even nicer than the native surface. Like any good hide it benefits from some break in, and I've done plenty of kneading in the grip area with it off the camera to accelerate its conformation ... it will eventually mold nicely to both the grip shape on the inside and even a tiny bit to your fingertips on the outside. I don't think you will ever look back once you've felt and used the leather for awhile.

True it's expensive, but I think this is truly a case (pun "half" intended) of "you will be enjoying the quality long after the price is forgotten".

6. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    I always feel that way and, unless i'm sure I can trade up without losing much, I'd rather "buy once." My only concern would be spending the money and then NOT liking it. I'll keep it on my radar, though!

-James