1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Learning the Gimp

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by OldNoob, Dec 13, 2014.

1. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    It's just amazing this program is free.
    This image was quickly and roughly edited in gimp. The lower is from the camera.
    Thats the sel1650 at 50mm at f/5.6 iso2500 but it looks like f/2
    15395595783_e349b43981_b.
    16013427941_ff6ff989e7_b.

• Like Like x 3
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I like gimp a lot but photoshop is better. Significant cost difference as you say tho!

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nice!!! You certainly pumped up the bokeh nicely. I tried to use Gimp when I first started, but was thoroughly confused. It may be feature rich, but usability for a laymen is not its strong suit. Looking back it could have easily been my lack of photography understanding. I don't know. It left a bad taste in my mouth that I don't want to revisit. I'll stick with LR and Photoshop.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldNoob

Oct 30, 2014
    i remember paying a ton for Adobe Creative Suite and now that version is no longer supported or accepts updates. Now adobe is a cloud based to buy monthly or annually

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Lightroom is also still available in the non-hostageware version, and it's so full featured that I almost never have to revert my old CS5 version of Photoshop.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldNoob

Oct 30, 2014
    Lightroom is awesome and probably the gold standard for raw conversion. i used it a bit when i still had a Windows OS.
    Currently running Ubuntu, while i could install Lightroom under a virtual windows drive, however I already have Rawtherapy and Darktable. Both are extremely powerful , but i haven't explored ether much past RAW editing conversion.
    Gimp is more of a Adobe Photoshop or Corel Photopaint or Paint-Shop like application. Ultimately maybe not as user friendly as Adobe or Corel but certainly capable once one figures out the terminology and behavior.

8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I used Gimp for a few years, the interface is clunky but it's sqrprisingly full featured and gets the job done. I was actually getting better results in sharpening and nose removal with Wavelet plugins for Gimp than with PS CS2 tools.

My biggest problem with Gimp was the lack of adjustment layer.

Eventually I replaced it with Corel Paint Shop Pro, it was only $40 or so and had a number of very nifty tools.

Now between LR and C1 I don't need a pixel editor.

BTW, how did you grow the OOF highlights ? Was it a by product of blur filter ?

9. OldNoob

Oct 30, 2014
    The faux DOF is done with a gimp plugin called Focus Blur. you have to create a separate layer for what you want to remain in focus. Still learning it but it seems to be a great tool to use when one has an image at a slower f/stop and higher ISO

10. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The Gimp is an amazing program, but I don't think that it will be 16-bit until version 3.0. That means that if you take an image from Lightroom, it will be trimmed to 8-bits per channel on import into the Gimp.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that this is biggest problem with GIMP. This is extremely annoying as it means that you have to export many images from same photo to extend 8 bit per channel limit if you need it.

The UI isn't so bad when you understand the basic principle behind GIMP (layers, selections, masks and how they inter-operate). Googling plug-ins is annoying too, there are lots of them but finding ones is difficult.

I got this book and it helped me quite a bit understanding GIMP:
    http://www.amazon.com/GIMP-2-8-Phot...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1418645778&sr=1-3&keywords=gimp

Not ideal book for me as I would have liked more theoretical treatment (explain how it works and have exercises later) but I think that it will work too. After the book net tutorials start to make sense and these are easy to bookmark.

With plug-ins the wawelet denoise, sharpen and decompose have been most useful. Resynthesizer has been most amusing of these.

• Like Like x 1