1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Learning my nex-f3 camera. How

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jan 11, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  2. LuvMusic

LuvMusic TalkEmount Regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Chicago area
    Well, I'm new to the NEX world too and just starting to get back into creative photography after being away for many years. I believe the best way to learn is to just go out and shoot without using the Intelligent mode (point and shoot mode). That said, my wife bought me David Busch's N5 book for Christmas I have a 5N) and it seems to be pretty good. I found the sections on how the menus are setup and which features work in each mode to be helpful. New ground for me.

Welcome to the community!

3. Carlos Chin

Carlos Chin TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    Malaysia
    Carlos Chin Wehan
    NEX 3, C3, 5, and 5N Book

You can try Gary Friedman's Book~ I found it it's much earlier to understand from his Book.
    And welcome to the World of NEX~!!!

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hm.. thanks..
    This booked edition looks weird. and I find it slightly expensive for ordering it. Do you know resellers around the world?

5. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I would normally buy the download, there is not a lot that doesn,t stick, so just print off the pages that don,t, you can also view it on your smartphone ,kindle or tablet.

6. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I know a few people that used David Busch's books. They're a good tool for understanding every single menu item/button/knob on your camera. It's like an extended, more detailed, easier to read owners manual. I've flipped through the 5n one at Barnes and Noble, it seemed spot on.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome to the NEX world and the F3.

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for that. So what do you think how should I start?
    Alex

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The books are a great start, as well as the manual.

The best bet is to go out and shoot.

10. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I agree - the manual has a table which lists what each menu function does, which is all you need really. Not a big fan of expensive 'alternative manual' books personally - they usually spend way too much time padding out the book with obvious stuff (although I acknowledge it may not be obvious to everyone) - just go out and take pictures and if you get stuck just google the answer or ask here. :) Reviews from dp and elsewhere are pretty thorough too and will tell you what button does what.

Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Review: Digital Photography Review

Sony NEX-F3 Mirrorless Camera Review

Experiment and have fun. :)

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^x2 :thumbup:

1) read the manual
    2) go out and practise

;)

12. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    As all other comments have said, go out and shoot! I got my F3 yesterday, and by shooting, shooting and more shooting I now have a pretty good grasp of the camera. Only a few months ago I would have no idea what an F-stop was, but now I just have fun meddling with the settings and different lenses.

So yeah, just enjoy yourself, that's the easiest way to practice.