• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Learn something new every day…..Interesting discovery last night

D

Deleted member 5158

When the life view effect option is on my A6000 will show the changes in exposure as well as creative setting. The actual dof will show whether on or off.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
When the life view effect option is on my A6000 will show the changes in exposure as well as creative setting. The actual dof will show whether on or off.

I also have the a6000 and it does the same thing. If you do nothing else but turn LV off, set the camera to A mode and change the aperture while looking at the lcd, you will see that the DOF does not change with the aperture. You are viewing the scene as if the aperture is wide open. If you do the same thing with LV settings on, you will see the DOF changing along with the aperture. I am not sure how you are not seeing this.

Even more obvious is the fact that you can hear the aperture changing as you turn the dial with LVS on, whereas the aperture blades don't move until you half press the shutter or take the picture when it is off. Note the latter will cause a lag since the aperture will not be at the proper setting until you press the shutter button.

Last edited:

Mus Aziz

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mus
I just did some experimentation. My settings were M, Live View Effects OFF and Auto ISO. I focused to an object in the foreground, around 3 feet away. This is what I discovered on my A7ii. The brightness in the EVF remain constant regardless of aperture settings. Also I was able to see the change in the depth of focus in the EVF or rear LCD when I rotate my aperture ring from f/2 to f/22 of my Loxia 35 (on the Loxia 35, or any of the Loxia, aperture changes are made through the aperture ring). The Loxia (and other legacy manual focus lenses too) does not provide automatic stop down when the shutter is pressed.

This depth of focus (or depth of field) thing with the Loxia or any other lenses that do not provide automatic stop down feature with the bodies that they are mated to, can be seen on the EVF or LCD, as light is actually travelling through whatever aperture that has been set. This is different with Auto Stop Down lenses whereby the view on the EVF or LCD is always through a wide open lens. Only at the press of the shutter button does the aperture blades close down, either through a mechanical linkage or through an electromechanical arrangement of some sort.

Creative style settings (Sepia, B&W, Standard, Neutral, etc) however are not displayed on the EVF or LCD when Live View Effects are OFF.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
I just did some experimentation. My settings were M, Live View Effects OFF and Auto ISO. I focused to an object in the foreground, around 3 feet away. This is what I discovered on my A7ii. The brightness in the EVF remain constant regardless of aperture settings. Also I was able to see the change in the depth of focus in the EVF or rear LCD when I rotate my aperture ring from f/2 to f/22 of my Loxia 35 (on the Loxia 35, or any of the Loxia, aperture changes are made through the aperture ring). The Loxia (and other legacy manual focus lenses too) does not provide automatic stop down when the shutter is pressed.

This depth of focus (or depth of field) thing with the Loxia or any other lenses that do not provide automatic stop down feature with the bodies that they are mated to, can be seen on the EVF or LCD, as light is actually travelling through whatever aperture that has been set. This is different with Auto Stop Down lenses whereby the view on the EVF or LCD is always through a wide open lens. Only at the press of the shutter button does the aperture blades close down, either through a mechanical linkage or through an electromechanical arrangement of some sort.

Creative style settings (Sepia, B&W, Standard, Neutral, etc) however are not displayed on the EVF or LCD when Live View Effects are OFF.

Agreed. I was referring to AF FE lenses like the 55F18Z and the 28F20 I used for the same experiment. Obviously the camera cannot affect the aperture on a manual lens. I should have been clear I was speaking about AF lenses.

Mus Aziz

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mus
Agreed. I was referring to AF FE lenses like the 55F18Z and the 28F20 I used for the same experiment. Obviously the camera cannot affect the aperture on a manual lens. I should have been clear I was speaking about AF lenses.

Gary, my apologies. I meant to add in my last post that you were using AF lenses. I was aware of that and my post wasn't "rebuttal" by any means. My apologies again.

:dash2:

D

Deleted member 5158

Yes my observation was with an mechanic mf lens too. That Why I afsked if yours were with electronic ones.

Latest threads

Top Bottom