1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LCD hood and glare

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nighttrain, Feb 28, 2015.

1. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    I use a Vello screen protector on my a5000, and there's a lot of glare in bright sunlight. So I've started using an LCD hood. Without the hood, it's hard to see anything, but with the hood I mostly see my reflection. Not the solution I had hoped for! So there's a lot of guesswork when I try to compose a shot in very sunny or reflective conditions. Can anyone recommend other alternatives for dealing with glare?

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I reckon there's a setting in the menu for the LCD called something like "Bright Sunny" something :)

In situations like these, this is were the EVF comes in handy :D

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

I feel your pain.

On my original NEX-3 and F3 I had one of those pop up LCD shades that did the job well enough most of the time, but I did have those few times where I simply had a hard time seeing.

As said above, set your screen to "Sunny" if you have not already.

You might want to look at the add-on viewfinder.

4. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, you can't use the add-on viewfinder with the a5000. But I'll experiment with the LCD settings, Sunny etc.

5. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
  6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
  7. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    dragion, I don't think the sun shade would give any advantage over the hood I'm already using. unlo, thanks for the DIY tip. I looked at some loupes on the B&H and Adorama sites but prices seemed high. Will probably make one or get one off ebay.

8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I followed the guide and didn't spend more than 20 bucks getting a loupe and some velcro. It actually, imo gives easier to see manual focus assist using loupe and lcd screen. I got the real deal Sony evf as well. And depending on the environment I prefer the loupe method over the evf

i'll get it out tonight when i get home and add some pics of the the set up

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015