1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LBA again

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Jul 16, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I used to have a box full of Vivitar lenses, but sold off all of them, then turned around and bought two in PK mount that I like very much: a Kiron-made 75-205 f/3.8 one-touch, and a Series 1 19-35 f/3.5-4.5. That one is pretty hard to find in PK mount, and has a much more robust construction than the earlier Promaster 19-35 I once owned. The IQ from both lenses is quite good, IMO, and they will stay in my collection. This week I've added a Kiron-made 70-150 f/3.8 two-touch, as well as a Kiron MC7 2X multiplier in PK mount. For some reason, PK mount lenses seem to command a higher price, but I got both of these for a reasonable sum. I've been considering getting the 70-150 for a while, and finding a good copy in PK mount was a pleasant surprise. The MC7 has good reviews on the webs, so I'm interested to see how it works with both the 70-150 and 75-205.

Speaking of Pentax, I completed a 16.5 mile hike over the weekend, carrying two cameras. My Pentax K-30 with the Vivitar/Kiron 75-205 was slung over my left shoulder, and the NEX-5R + Minolta MD 28/2.8 was over my right. The K-30/Kiron combination felt like a load of bricks by the end of the day, and the 5R was hardly noticed. Portability rocks!

Tony

• Like Like x 4
  2. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    There are a bunch of reasons why I'm going to sell my K30, but fit/feel isn't one of them. It's a PITA to use with my manual primes due to the stupid "green button" exposure method, but it feels quite natural in my hand, and the controls fall into place nicely. I recently bought an L-bracket for my NEX-6 (from Amazon, although it's marketed for the A6000) which has fixed all of my gripes about the NEX-6 being too small. The bracket fits arca plates, covers the whole bottom of the camera with a hole for the battery door, and adds the perfect amount of heft and height to make it feel a bit more natural in my hand.

Here's the bracket: http://www.amazon.com/plate-bracket...?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1405540471&sr=1-1&dpPl=1

• Like Like x 4
  3. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Don't mean to tangent, but I would love to see your NEX6 with this installed! I've been toying with the idea of getting a leather case to fix the "too small" problem, but have been afraid that the case wouldn't be as comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    nex6_front. nex6_bottom.
    Here you go.

• Like Like x 4
  5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Interesting. I actually find the fit/feel of the NEX-6 to be a good fit for me, but I have long, narrow fingers. I don't mind the heft of the K-30 normally, but with the bigger lens it loomed large on that long hike. The 'stop down metering" was a bit different when I first started using it, and I sometimes have to override it to to get the exposure I want. I actually tried to sell it on the Pentax marketplace, but the offers I got were ridiculous. I may try again elsewhere. It is a good camera, and I do like the WR aspect, but prefer the operation of my NEX cameras.

Tony

6. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    I tried to sell my K30 and 18-135 lens, with several extras, on the PF marketplace too, and met with the same issue. I was able to sell all the individual pieces separately for more than I was asking for the collection as a kit, and in fact, I got an offer for my lens that was greater than the asking price for the lens by itself! I haven't put the K30 back up yet, largely because I don't have a box to ship it out in, but I'll try again once I finally find one.

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The 70-150 arrived yesterday, and it is a fine lens in excellent condition. I posted some sample photos in a showcase thread. I'm quite pleased with the purchase. It is a nice addition to my modest collection. In addition, I will be using it on my Pentax Q with a Pentax PK-PQ adapter. That will give me a poor man's super zoom of ~392-840mm. :)

Tony

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I purchased a rather uncommon lens yesterday, a Vivitar 85mm f/1.8 T-mount. Attached to it is an even more uncommon Vivitar T2 to Pen F adapter. There's very little on the 'Net about this lens, although I did find a few example shots. Here's some very brief info on the lens if anyone is interested:

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/vivitarpage.htm
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-85mm-f-1-8-pre-set-t-mount.html
    http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1685.html

The Ponder & Best catalog from Sept 1974 indicates it has 6 elements in 4 groups, and an "Angle of Acceptance" of 28 degrees. I assume this means FOV. The lens will arrive in a couple of days. Should be fun for experimentation, as the price was reasonable.

I keep saying I'm going to save for a premium lens for my NEX-6, but I keep finding bargains on old legacy glass I want to play with. I've probably sold off 75% of the legacy glass I've bought over the past couple of years, as well as the K-30 and 5R. I have found a few gems I won't be selling. Ah, well . . . life is good. :)

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  9. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Tony...what is LBA?
    Lens Based Acquisition?
    (does not appear to be Location Based Advertising or Lieutenants Benevolent Association :)

Experimenting with legacy glass is fun! (I could stand to cull my herd as well).

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lens Buying Addiction:rolleyes:

Curse/Bless you Ebay/Craigslist

• Like Like x 1
  11. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Aha, I see. A subset of GAS.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yes. We have support meetings right after the GAS Support meeting:rolleyes:

13. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    If I am already enrolled in GAS, do you think I should attend the LBA meetings as well?

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Its just down the hall.

15. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I haven't been on here for a couple of days due to being out of town, but Dave beat me to the punch. My wife thinks I have GAS unnecessarily. She doesn't understand it only subsides, but never truly goes away.

Tony