1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Latest Sony Executive Interview. APS-C is not Dead?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by davect01, Oct 21, 2015.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony...d-aps-c-e-mount-products-are-being-developed/

Highlights for the forum are:

1- An A6000 update IS in the works. However, the wording is a bit vague.
    "We're going to continue to develop cameras with APS-C matrix. I can not give an exact release date, but maybe in the future we will see to it."

This is translated to English, so hopefully the vagueness is due to the translation process.

2- Touchscreen is a future option.

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it was clear that APS-C was going to be Sony's entry-level all the way back since the first A7 was announced. I don't see why that would have changed. No corporate strategy relies only at the top end (look at how Fuji actually had to move down the ladder as successively the X-Pro then XE then XA and XM came out), and FF is not anywhere close to delivering an entry-level price point. The people preaching doom and gloom about APS-C are simply 100% ignorant about product strategy (and conspiracy theories* love an information vacuum, see Samsung 'withdrawing' from ILC market).

What you are actually witnessing is the slowdown of the product cycle refresh rate, brought about inevitably by the slowdown in sales of digital cameras.

*also stupid rumor sites

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    This is good news!
    IMO it would be a huge mistake for Sony to abandon (or stop developing) the APSC camp cause it would give competitors a big market area.
    I dislike Sony's approach until now, to not include a touchscreen to cameras equipped with EVFs

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

There was some legitimate concern about the future of APS-C Sony cameras as there was a complete and sudden drop off from Sony in favor of Full Frame.

Good to know it is still in consideration.

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Basically the way I read it, A6000 is selling well and is not yet obsolete /still competitive, and they have no plans at the moment to replace it.

OK, this is fine and dandy, but in my humble opinion Sony's APS-C shortcomings are not with their bodies but with their lenses. I couldn't care less if they don't release an IBIS enabled body with an upgraded processor for another 2 years, but I would like to see an upgraded compact kit lens and an upgraded 16mm or similar lens that works with UWA adapter. Looks like nothing is going on there either, they are concentrating all of their effort on FE line.

6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I am awaiting my (used-like-new) A6000 as an upgrade from my Nex-6. I mostly wanted some headroom for cropping birds and such, and the improved menus and memory banks. I was concerned that APS-C was going to continue being ignored. But I gotta tell you, even used the prices are not much below current new prices and good condition used is hard to find. People are holding on to them. So the A6000 is still selling well and holding value.

Now put yourself in Sony's shoes as a business - why spend all that money on development and changing production lines to upgrade a camera that is already selling like hot cakes? Makes no business sense unless the competition starts catching up, or sales soften. I think they will eventually update the APS-C line, but not until then. In the meantime, the A6000 is a pretty good camera.

Lenses, I agree that needs some attention. And more affordable would be nice for us common folk. :)

7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    That the A6000 still is doing well and not yet obsolete is one thing but the lack of new much needed lenses for it (prefereable in the f/1.8 region) is another and, to me very anoying matter

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    This is the confusion we find ourselves in.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    The three main factors imo:
    1) Contracting market (less emphasis on winning new market share, and less to gain)
    2) Maturing technology (improvements are more incremental)
    3) Lack of competition (there was and is no EVF APS-C MILC at the price point of the A6000 on the market - XT10 comes closest, but Fuji are way more expensive (as a system), bulkier, and with a dated sensor and questionable X-trans tech)

Between these three factors, there really has been very little to push Sony to refresh its lineup. I mean, if we had seen a new model, it might have had some pointless feature addition like inclusion of a GPS or something, but nothing that affected the core proposition (AF module, sensor, processor, etc). Waiting longer, we are likely to see all three of those feature in whatever is the next model (and you are guaranteed to have a next model, all that tech now exists in the A7 series - great PDAF, BSI, uncompressed raw, etc.).

The only problem is that as an 'entry level', Sony will (probably) have decided there won't be much need for new lenses (as the demographic are usually the superzoom buyers, or at least people who prioritize size and price over optics), given that FE lenses can also be fit on those cameras. That's the one real painful loss from the switch in strategy. Possibly if Sony were to launch a weather-sealed APS body, then that would warrant new APS lenses (though not necessarily new optics). But if, for example, your issue is no APS f/2.8 zooms, you could simply switch to A7 and get the f/4 zooms, which are the same price, size (as f/2.8 ILC zooms), and equivalent aperture opening (in fact slightly faster with better DoF control). So the 'lack' of new lenses in the APS-C category is extremely small and niche at this point.

10. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I just think its wierd that it is third party manufactures like rokinon and Sigma who make the Interesting lenses. Where is the 60-70mm portrait- and macrolenses, the fast wides (e.g like the 12mm f/2 rokinon) and stuff like fisheye, teleconverters and extensiontubes

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gary Alan Box

Gary Alan Box TalkEmount Regular

Oct 3, 2015
    Northampton
    Gary Alan Box
    Interesting to read this. As an a6000 owner myself my gut instinct is that Sony will replace it sometime soon and the new model will be a pretty major upgrade. Having said this it's clear that Sony are concentrating most of their efforts on full frame which explains the delays in the a6000 replacement. Without doubt Sony is a really innovative tech company but I do sometimes wonder if they understand their customers. If they want to try and steal market share from Canon and Nikon and I assume they do then you need to offer something in the more entry level price bracket and then hope these customers might upgrade to full frame later. Personally I have no plans to upgrade to full frame yet and the delay in the a6000 replacement is perhaps partly due to the fact that it was such an amazing camera when released that it still holds up well against the competition now. There is competition though from the likes of Fuji and Samsung so they need to really have something special by early next year.

As for lenses I find that there are enough decent lenses for the APS-C cameras though one or two are a little expensive. My main complaint with the lenses though is not the price but the quality control and sample variation which they really need to get under control if they want to topple Nikon and Canon. Sony has come a long way in a short time and at the current rate of progress the others need to really improve their game if they want to survive.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Totally agree. I have and plan on enjoying my A6000 for many years, but am highly concerned for the commitment level going forward.

13. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I can't believe Sony would just hand over the Mirrorless APS-C market to Fuji. APS-C is a bridge to FF. I wouldn't be shocked to see a new A6/7000 in time for the Holidays.

14. Golem

Golem TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2015
    I think the problem is that many users have noses ;-)
    and so would hafta turn the stoopid thing off anywho.

`

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    So D5500 users don't have noses? :D No I thinks it's because of the evf sensor. The screen would turn of every time your fingers get close. Oh what a prank that would be :D

16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Um, that's why there is a proximity sensor. Plenty of other makers have them.

17. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    While I'd love to see an APS-C sensored Sony with the 5 axis IBIS they got from Olympus it is looking more and more like Sony's efforts are almost entirely focused on their FF gear. Whether or not that means they are slowly phasing out APS-C sensor cameras is unknown, but I would not be at all surprised.