• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Latest Craigslist Find

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Picked these up the other day. So does anybody know, are Leica lenses supposed to be any good?

---            
   ---            

---            
   ---            

Just kidding - I know about Leica. :rolleyes:

I don't know much, though - this is my first experience with their stuff. I probably won't be going very deep down the rabbit hole, but these old SLR lenses are not a bad way to dip a toe in the water. They certainly are quite a bit less expensive than the rangefinder glass.

I'm sure looking forward to trying these bad boys out. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait for the adapter to arrive.

Oh, well... if I can't practice with them at least I can practice ON them! :)

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Picked these up the other day. So does anybody know, are Leica lenses supposed to be any good?
No they are terrible, I wouldn't risk your precious camera with them. If you send them to me I'll dispose of them appropriately! ;)

(Congrats!)

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looking forward to the Leitz pics :)
You and me both! :)

I have a couple other 35mm primes - I'm looking forward to doing a more comprehensive shootout, the results of which of course I will be sharing.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Adapter showed up today!

Woo hoo!!

The light was fading and I had just enough time for a very quick run of outdoor test shots.

---            

This is certainly not an ideal comparison but it already seems abundantly evident that the Summicron has something very special going on, wide open. The center is already pretty sharp, with none of that typical dreamy haze, and the background blur looks very promising. This must be the thing some folks pay an arm and a leg for. The AF-Nikkor seems dramatically messier all around IMHO. (It does clean up quite a bit by f/5.6.)

I was expecting some clunkiness with the handling, and the weight makes the N7 feel more like an old film SLR - I actually kind of like that.

So far the Macro-Elmarit 60mm has failed to decisively blow the old Micro-Nikkor 55mm out of the water, optically - initial trial comparisons are too close to call. The focus ring certainly feels very luxiurious - it goes almost 360 degrees and makes the Nikkor's focusing action seem unpleasantly "touchy" by comparison. I'm also surprised by how much the Leitz looks as though it belongs on my Sony NEX! :D

---            

Top Bottom