1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Late season blossom on a lone Tobacco plant...another test for the Canon FDn 135 / 2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, Oct 12, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Testing Canon FDn 135 / 2.8 in cloudy overcast conditions.
    NEX-7, ISO100, Spot Metering, AP mode, F2.8, 1/250.

A lone tobacco plant out in a weed filled field, survived the tobacco picking weeks ago, then somehow managed to begin generating a full blossom in mid-October…looked kind of unique standing tall out there by itself so I stopped and shot it from the car window.

• Like Like x 8
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Excellent photo. This is one of your best ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Beautiful :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    This was the 3rd or 4th time I've pulled over and shot something trying to rest the lens barrel on the car window halfway up and as you all probably know its a devil of a time to keep it rock solid still for a razor sharp image...I've got to get or make some sort of beanbag affair to have handy for those kind of shots in the future.

6. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Camera motion is a bitch !

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Amen to that

8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Its the worst when you think you have a great shot and you zoom to 100% and its blurred

• Like Like x 1
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Ordered a Grizzly bean bag from Amazon last night

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    No, the model that comes with mine is a blonde

11. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Must be the premium version ;D

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL

Here's the medium size "Grizzly".
    The effeminate pink lettering seems in conflict with the product name and heavy duty Cordura but it is what it is.

13. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    looks pretty sweet, not sure if I would have a use for one. I don't even use my tripod a lot, though hopefully it will get a workout over the weekend

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I just want it if I'm on a drive and spot something I want to shoot from the car window...for example, I think the Tobacco Blossom could have been a hair sharper.
    Trying to balance a lens even on a folded towel over the blade of window glass helps but it's still not rock solid.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Arrived today...sturdy / well made...and the lettering is actually a dark red on the Black Cordura.
    (don't know why their website product photo shows it as pink)

I had a couple 5lb bags of Aquarium gravel on hand that I'd bought a few months ago to make a bean-bag but never got around to it...poured in one bag, wasn't enough...poured in about half of the 2nd bag for a total of 7.5 - 8 pounds and it seems about right. Tried it with a fairly large Canon FDn 400 on the NEX-7 and and it cradled / held it all as solid as a rock.

The weight won't be an issue as I have no plans to 'carry' it around...it'll just be on the passenger floorboard of the car in case I see something I want to shoot outside the driver's window, or on top of the hood, etc.