Last Pic with my A7r . . .

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Blueshound, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Blueshound

Blueshound TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    I just sold my A7r, shipped & gone. The last decent shot I took with it was of a dramatic sunrise, peeking just over the intracoastal waterway here in Florida.

Now keeping an eye on the marketplace, looking for a a bit better price on an A7r II. Might require some patience, I suppose.

Thanks for looking
    Brian
    Sunrise Across the Intracoastal.

• Like Like x 17
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great photo!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    More power to you, I have separation anxiety attacks just thinking about selling my gear to afford something else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blueshound

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    Thanks Nick.
    To unlo: Yep, I had an anxious moment when boxing the camera up to ship.

Brian

5. Blueshound

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    As an anecdote for those who care, I found a venue through which to order a new A7rII, now ordered, shipped and (hopefully, still to be confirmed) out for delivery today.

At the suggestion of a poster on another forum, I bid & ordered through Greentoe. Had never even looked at the site before. I was flumoxed! Wound up paying what I felt was a very good price, represented to be brand-spanking new, US warranty, all that good stuff.

I'll do a shutter count test when it arrives. If this all goes to plan, I'll be a fan. Rhyme unintentional!

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  6. thomphoto

thomphoto New to TalkEmount

Nov 8, 2014
    Owensboro, KY
    Wendell
    So, with the quality of this shot, why do you need to upgrade?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blueshound

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    Not sure I would use the word "need", so much as "want". The characteristics of the A7r include a very "physical" shutter, which in certain situations can subtly undermine the ultimate sharpness of shots when hand-held at lower shutter speeds. (This is largely avoidable, unless you shoot a lot of exposure brackets - see below.) The new camera has a much more polite shutter action, and this together with EFCS, has already shown a much more consistent level of sharpness of fine details under those same circumstances. (Being picky here.)

Also, exposure bracketing is quite important to me, including the ability to shoot brackets hand-held. On the plus exposures, you can be into a tricky shutter speed sometimes, and the A7rII makes this much more feasible. I came from m43, and my Panasonic cameras and lenses made it relatively easy to shoot hand-held exposure brackets, much more so than with cameras with 35mm sized sensors. (Only once since 2010 have I had a problem merging exposures from m43.) The A7rII, with it's combination of IBIS and EFCS, brings this capability somewhat closer to what I had gotten used to with my Panasonic gear. And the bracketing options are more flexible than those of the A7r.

So I appreciate the difference in real-world use . . . could I continue to get good results with the A7r? Sure.

Brian

8. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Looking forward to the very first shot with that A7RII :)
    And great shot BTW

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blueshound

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    Thanks!

As to shots with the A7rII, perhaps not the first, but the first one I've posted online is below. (Note the little spot above the right palm tree - if you look closely, you can see it's an airplane.) I was originally intending to take this out, but on second thought, I felt that it was pretty cool.

Brian

24427922709_c4117253e6_o. Dramatic Sky by Brian Gammon, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
  11. Blueshound

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    The airplane in the image that I posted was actually there, I wasn't even aware of it when taking the shot. What is your point here? Are you implying that the airplane was added?

I appreciate the positive comment, but a little less ambiguity re: the Nikon instance would also be appreciated.

Brian

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Bob was joking, Brian. I think you'll find we're a pretty light-hearted bunch here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blueshound

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    Understood.

14. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Yeah, totally joking... I thought the :rofl: would make it clear but sometimes written communication can be interpreted wrongly.

I apologize if you took offense, absolutely none intended.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blueshound

Jan 27, 2016
    Brian
    Thanks Bob, and likewise, I apologize for overreacting.

Brian

• Like Like x 1