1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Laptop Viewing Angle Gauge for consistent viewing / editing of photos

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by roundball, May 16, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    ACRATECH VIEWING ANGLE GAUGE

A problem with viewing / editing photos on laptop screens is the effect on the photo’s looks depending on the changes of the tilt angle of the laptop screen from one day to the next, from one session to the next, from one photo to the next...has driven me crazy trying to remember...and to maintain...a correct and consistent viewing angle on my laptop screen.

I knew there were monitor calibration images that could be downloaded / installed to calibrate the colors of monitors. And with Laptops so commonplace today I felt sure somebody somewhere must have invented a way to establish / make consistent the “tilt angle” of a laptop for viewing / editing photos.

Sure enough, once I got the search argument properly refined, B&H Photo popped up showing they have one called the “Acratech Viewing Angle Gauge”.

The B&H listing includes the manufacturer’s video which shows the simple couple minute installation and use of the gauge.

Appears very logical & straight forward and seems like it should work fine. I’ll soon know…ordered one, will be here Monday.

Here’s the link in case anyone is interested…
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652830-REG/Acratech_6005S_Viewing_Angle_Gauge_Silver.html

PS: I have zero affiliation with anything about this...just sharing what I found in case any other laptop user(s) might be interested.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    FWIW, I saw a live demo of this several years ago by the guy who runs Acratech. It does what it is claimed to do.

I don't do any photo editing on my laptop, so I did not buy one, but it struck me as a good value for anyone who does do editing on a laptop.

_ Tom -

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Always great to hear first hand feedback, thanks !

What got me thinking about it was I happened to notice a fine print sentence right in the middle of my screen as I was adjusting the screen angle this morning and saw it appear & disappear as I tweaked the angle slightly...occurred to me there HAS to be a way to create something like that to use as an alignment gauge...started searching and ran across this thing.
    Really looking forward to it showing up Monday so I can try it

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I know the problem of viewing and editing pictures on a screen of which the image rendition is very sensitive to the viewing angle. The best solution IMHO is to use a separate monitor with an IPS LCD and good backlighting if you don't want to replace the laptop itself. Calibration doesn't really help because the lower and upper part of the image are rendered differently even though viewing the screen at a certain viewing angle. At one point in time I was comparing two pictures positioned above each other and the differences were attributable to the monitor's degradation of the image. I then decided to replace the monitor and these days I never use my native laptop screen for serious viewing, let alone editing; IMHO the investment in a good monitor and a calibration tool is really worth it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I have no reason to disagree that a separate external monitor is probably the ultimate solution for photo viewing / editing.

My personal interests are the overall lifestyle / flexibility that a laptop affords me, sitting here in the den with my wife, sitting in my recliner, etc...vs...having to go into a separate room to sit down and plug up a separate external monitor to edit photos. Plus, I'm already learning / enjoying a level of image quality results that I never even dreamed of before.

And now, assuming this little "gauge" turns out to be another step of consistency / improvement, I should be in pretty good shape...for my interests. In addition, my current Thinkpad is about 4 years old and I've been thinking about upgrading it this year anyway, so a top quality performer should bring along some additional benefits as well.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, then you're set if you get a laptop with a good screen. My laptop from work was replaced recently by one with an IPS screen and that works quite well although I prefer a larger screen that the 13" of that laptop.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, plan to get a very large screen...my current one is already 15"...I think there are 17"-18" models available now...I don't need "portability" as I never take it out of the house...intend to max out the RAM, processors, storage size, etc...at my age it'll probably be the last one I'll every buy, LOL

8. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    The type of screen is probably more important than the size of the screen. There are several different design types of LCD screen, and some have much less sensitivity to viewing angle than the other types. Most laptops come with the cheapest type of screen, which is the most sensitive to viewing angle. Some laptop brands offer alternative types of screen, but others do not, so keep this in mind when buying.

- Tom -

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just arrived, couple minutes to install, works fantastic, no more guesswork.
    If I change positions while seated, a simple tweak to the tilt angle realigns the 90* viewing angle...simple, quick, consistent.

10. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    I admit to have it, and that it works, but dont really use it anymore. i edit the majority of my work in the laptop (blasphemy i know).

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    :)

Its been an interesting trial these first few days...and I've definitely found that I "normally" open my laptop screen past the so called ideal 90* viewing angle...also changes after setting it down / picking it back up after getting a cup of coffee, etc... am constantly glancing at the gauge / tweaking it.
    So I should be eliminating "viewing angle" as an issue, getting more consistency