1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lagan river at night, Belfast, Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Mathieu Decodts, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi, been reading the forum for a long time and decided to sign up and contribute. This is shot with the kit lens on a Nex 5N, on a night time photo safari around Belfast. I wanted to share it because it was the first time I used my Nex for landscapes and the pro photographer leading the tour was impressed by this straight from camera jpeg. Shot wide at iso 100 20 seconds or so shutter and f16 (it was a while ago so can't remember exactly) let me know what you think, I have just bought some nice sigma lenses and want to try something similar with them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome, Mathieu. Impressive debut!

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    pretty good first shot, welcome.

4. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks folks, I really appreciate the feedback. I was impressed by the colour depth the camera got for a straight jpeg, this was the first shot I took that made me realise what an excellent camera the Nex 5n is. This was last October and I hope I have improved since then! I'll post more pics soon.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Little too dark for my liking but nice first shot nevertheless ;)

Welcome

6. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    How is this? a little lighter from the same night. I so wish I was shooting RAW at the time, only started that recently and would never go back to jpeg only now. Bear in mind too it was the first time I ever took night time landscape pictures.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Its better ;)
    Yeah, shooting RAW (or at least RAW+Jpeg) is a no brainer for me

8. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    So I went back to the same location, this time with a canon fd 50mm f1.4. Second shot is me trying the same as before. First shot is me planning for a shoot with a model. I don't really like landscapes but I think this location will be amazing as a bokeh background for a portrait. Believe it or not the first one is ooc, I did shoot raw but it came out exactly how I wanted. :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4