1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

LAEA3 & LAEA4 Question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MAubrey, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

So, I'm a little confused about these two adapters (and third APS-C equivalents). LAEA4 & LAEA2 allow for PDAF in Alpha lenses via the translucent mirror. But it isn't clear to me whether LAEA4 is necessary for E-mount cameras that already have PDAF on the sensor. Could I hypothetically get away with just having LAEA3 on my A7 with its PDAF on sensor (assuming I don't buy any lenses that lack a AF motor)?

I cannot seem to find any information on this question anywhere...even though it seems like it should have been asked a dozen times when the PDAF first appear on NEX cameras.

2. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    There's a Sony store nearby that I can go to and talk to the Alpha Reps about the difference. I'll report back hopefully tomorrow. Is there anything else that you'd like me to ask about the adapters?

3. MAubrey

Wow, that's very kind of you. No other questions, though. Thanks so much!

4. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    You could use the LAEA3, but the AF speed is going to be slower than using the LAEA4 (even with the lenses with built-in motors). I think it is still only going to do contrast detect. I think I read it in DPR or somewhere about that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    Thankfully the store wasn't busy today so I had spent close to an hour and a half testing. So, I got a rundown for you:

The A7 "has" PDAF, but it's really just a hybrid between PDAF/CDAF. It's faster than an NEX 7, but it's not DSLR fast. With the LAEA4, you get full PDAF from the SLT mirror and much more AF points with 3 cross sections (I forgot to count how many you get sorry D: ) So, Using the Sony 24-70 f/2.8 with the LAEA4 on the A7, I kindly asked the Sony rep walk at a hurried pace from the front to the back of the store. Out of 18 shots, 1 was barely out of focus. It's blazing fast and from close to infinity it performed well. Impressive focusing under fluorescent lighting. I also had an A99 to compare AF and the adapter performed pretty well against it's bigger brother.

The LAEA3 did perform okay in the AF area. Using the same lens and same method, out of 17 shots, 2 were slightly out of focus and 2 missed completely. Close to infinity focusing was good. If you were shooting landscapes, or portraits there shouldn't be any problems. Other than the AF being slow since it only uses the A7's hybrid AF, it was a good adapter. Again, with some older Minolta Glasses, some third party glass, and screw type AF Alpha lenses the AF won't be of use. It's the cheaper route, so if you'd like to go that way it's still a viable option.

So to answer your question: Hypothetically, you can get away using the LAEA3 with the A7's Hybrid-AF. Just don't expect a lot when shooting fast moving objects like kids, sports and wildlife.

Also, side note here: The LAEA2 will only work in crop mode on the A7, it's an E-Mount where as the LAEA4/3 are technically an FE mount. I don't know if you were planning on purchasing that as a backup, thought I'd let you know.

• Like Like x 4
  6. MAubrey

Thanks, both of you. I was afraid that was going to be the case. I think I'm just going to have to find a store to try it out myself. But it looks like I'll probably be sticking with legacy glass. My MF tracking of action is slowly improving...

7. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    My biggest beef against the LAEA4 is that all the AF points are clustered in the middle (like in the A99), and like most adapters, it adds bulk to the kit. I've only used the LAEA4 with the Zeiss 24/2 and the Sony 85/2.8. The AF speed was decent on both, but not as fast as using the native FE lenses like the kit zoom, Zeiss 35/2.8 or 55/1.8 on my A7. The AF accuracy seemed a bit off on the Zeiss 24/2, but it's my understanding that the user can do micro-adjustments.

• Like Like x 1
  8. asimkalkan

asimkalkan TalkEmount Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    But for example 28-70 kit of A7 is 350$. 55 1.8 zeiss is more than 1000$.

But if you get LAEA4 for 340$ then you can get very cheap and good Minolta glass to use on A7

GT-I9300 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

9. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    For sure!

It all depends on what the user wants and values. For now, I don't even own the Zeiss 55/1.8 (although I've used a friend's). I'm using an old manual focus Nikon 50/1.4.

10. rojocinco

rojocinco New to TalkEmount

Jul 24, 2014
    I Have a question about that, you said that the LAEA3 uses the A7 hybrid autofocus, but what about the A6000 in sensor PDAF? I have the LAEA2 and it´s slower than the the A6000 original PDAF system with an E-mount native lenses, I would like to know if using The LAEA1 or LAEA3 the A6000 will use it´s own PDAF system thats it´s better than the LAEA2.

11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    sry for bringing up an old thread, but i couldn't find the more recent one i was actually looking for. So with the nov 18 update for a7ii which adds the 14bit raw and faster AF and the ability to (like the a7rii) use on sensor pdaf with SAL lenses. IT was discussed before on a different thread but maybe someone can answer me here as well. Screw mount lenses don't benefit from the pdaf on laea3? correct? only newer SAL lenses will work with the pdaf? what about SAL 85 2.8? or i have an older maxxum 28-80? will these work with pdaf and the laea3? seriously considering keeping the laea4 for my 200mm 2.8 and buying the laea3 and mayb the SAL 85mm 2.8
    any and all insights welcome. TIA

12. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    What I know is that screw mount won't AF with LA-EA3 (such as our Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8).

13. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    LA-EA1 and LA-EA3 can only do AF with lenses that have a built in AF motor (SSM, SAM). If someone has LA-EA3 with lenses of these 2 types, it would be useful to know how fast the AF is on A7RII since AF speed with contrast detection was awful to say the least. This is somewhat slow probably due to the fact that focusing has to be achieved with the lens stopped down to the selected aperture like on most E-Mount cameras and this limits the contrast detection due to the greater depth of field of smaller apertures ( ever tried focusing manually with your lens stopped down to F11 ? Depth of field is so large that contrast detection has trouble finding a proper spot for focusing and even using the magnifier focus assist, finding critical focus is a challenge)

LA-EA2 and LA-EA4 have a built-in motor to actuate the screw-drive of the older AF lenses that are not SAM or SSM. They also have the semi-translucent mirror to intercept and re-transmit a portion light to the built-in AF sensors that are PDAF just like any A-Mount camera has had up to now. This was fast because of the fact that the lens would stay open at max aperture to allow focusing and stop down just before exposure.

What Sony needs to bring out now is a new adapter called LA-EA3.5 for Full frame cameras ( and another called LA-EA1.5 for APS-C) that has the built-in screw drive motor and that will have no mirror to let the on-sensor PDAF do its work on newer cameras. It should also offer a new menu option that allows us to choose Max aperture focusing or actual aperture focusing which may slow down focusing speed.

My gosh how will everybody get confused from now on trying to choose from all these converters!

• Like Like x 1
  14. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    +1, you need LA-EA4 for screw mount lenses. I don't have any Sony A lenses, but I have the newest Tamron 28-300 pzd lens in A-mount. It is faster to focus and less hunting with LA-EA4 compared to LA-EA3. I wonder this changes with any Sony A mount SSM/SAM lenses... Fastest af is with Sony FE/E mount lenses...

15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    So if I applied the update. Purchased 85mm 2.8 SAM + Laea3 i'd have pdaf from my a7ii. I will probably wait and see what other folks think of the update before I consider this. But it sounds like a frugal route for me @ least

• Like Like x 1