1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Labeling the "No-Name" SD cards

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by slothead, Aug 29, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    In all the years of my Nikon Shooting, I never got confused about what SD card (or CF card for that matter) I had stuck in my computer or reader, but since acquiring the Sony bodies, I am always wondering "which SD card did I just stick in my computer?" Is there ANY way to change the label on the SD card so that it announces what camera it came out of when it appears on the screen of my Mac? They all say "No Name"! It wouldn't be a problem with only one Sony body (I suppose), but with an a5100, a6000, a7R and a7ii, there is a bit of confusion. It is hard for me to believe that that title is permanently fixed in the metadata of the card!

Thanks,

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    They should be the same as a CD or DVD storage device...you buy them blank then you can 'label' (name) them with your PC if you want

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Heheh! Tom, you just set yourself up for the stereotypical Mac Vs. PC (user) joke!
    :-D

As roundball stated, you can label the flash cards through properties and/or MacOS's file manager equivalent app.

I cycle through 5 SD cards between two bodies, and found it handy to place a number on them with a Sharpie. Can't be old-school.

4. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I've tried renaming them in the past and it does not stick! I'll try again maybe with a different method. Thanks guys.