LA-EA4 and A-mount Q's

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Lurch, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    As I (im)patiently wait for the delivery of my A7 + 28-70 I've been reseaching the hell out of all things A7.
    With the FE being a (fairly) new mount, I'm sure I'm not alone in waiting for Sigma/Tamron to release lenses. The Sony 24-70/F4 Z looks good, but man its expensive, and with everyone else making 2.8's - its not really *THAT* fast.
    In the past I've had a Tamron 24-70 VC on my D800 and a 17-50 2.8 on Canon. Both absolutely fantastic lenses. Also the Sigma 70-200 2.8 on the Nikon was sensational.

I've read plenty of review of the 28-70 and although its not a bad lens by any stretch, I know I'm going to be wishing for some properly fast glass.
    So, I guess, do I:
    Invest in a la-ea4 and A-Mount lenses? The down side seems to be the lack of OSS/VC/OS in A-mount. The focus seems a bit slower, but not ridiculously so.
    Invest in some nice fast primes while I/we wait for Sigma/Tamron?
    Just get the 24-70Z?

Cheers,
    Lurch

2. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    My other concern (just thinking about it) is that with the A7II now having in-body stabilization; are stabilized Sony lenses already on their way out??

3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    While it's certainly a fool's game to try to guess what Sony's going to do, I suspect that they are not done with stabilized (OSS) lenses yet. The new batch of FE lenses include a couple with OSS, and they were developed in a time when the A7ii was also in development. Perhaps there will be fewer short primes with OSS, but longer zooms will likely still get it. There are still far more bodies without IBIS than with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    I vote for laea4 all the way. The tamron 24-70 vc beats the crap out of the zeiss, and ita a full stop faster.

• Like Like x 1
  5. crashwins

crashwins TalkEmount Regular

Jul 17, 2014
    This is a rather biased post, but I'm selling my LAEA4 with a Minolta 100 F2 for $700 (in BnS), which is ridiculously cheap...I'm going back to Canon for my long glass. I used these on my A6000 and the results astound.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The LA-EA4 is a nice option, but comes with some restraints.

The original A7 is not known for fast AF, and the LA-EA4 slows it down just a little bit more.

7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This is not a true statement. The LA-EA4 has it's own PDAF focusing system which is independent of the camera body. In the this case, the LA-EA4 focuses faster and tracks better than the native A7.

8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Also know you will lose about 1/3 stop of light due to the mirror.

9. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Chris this is true, but in most cases the LA-EA4 is allowing you to use a faster lens that is a full stop faster than is available in native e-mount. This is particularly true regarding zooms. There are many 2.8 or less zooms whereas there are no Zooms below F4 for native. So the 1/3 stop for the mirror is rarely the deciding factor.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

If using a faster lens.

It has trade-offs

11. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't want to argue Dave, but I don't want to mislead people looking for information either. You said, "The original A7 is not known for fast AF, and the LA-EA4 slows it down just a little bit more". This is simply not true. the A7 body will have nothing to do with the focus speed of the LA-EA4 no matter what lens you use with it. That is not how this adapter works.