1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA4 with Tamron 150-600

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by starmite, Oct 14, 2015.

1. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    I've read conflicting items regarding whether the LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 is the preferred adapter to use with the Tamron 150-600 A mount zoom on an A7ii. In the quest for knowledge, I picked up the LA-EA3 adapter so I could compare the results first hand (already have the LA-EA4). Thus far, I've concluded that better focus accuracy is possible using the LA-EA3 with manual focus, but I have much more experimenting and practice to do. No doubt autofocus will likely be better for moving objects, but it is possible to pull in a manual focus reasonably quickly with this lens.

My test was simple. Camera/lens mounted on a tripod. Target focus was the bright yellow leaves in the middle of the first image shown below (shot at 50mm with the FE28-70 lens). The 50mm image shows the relative capability of the Tamron to zoom at maximum focal length. In resizing the images to post here, the LA-EA3 example lost a fair amount of detail; it was actually much sharper than what's posted below.

fe2870%2050_1600_zpsocsoyocq.

This is the manual focus shot with focus peaking taken through the LA-EA3:

LA-EA3%20600_1600_zps15ppqztx.

Using the LA-EA4, with the lens set to autofocus, it seems clear that the camera focused slightly in front of the target yellow leaves:

LA-EA4%20600_600_zpscxjwqwhk.

I'm really pleased with the Tamron lens and look forward to gaining full mastery of it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    Did some crops to better show the focus results. First, with the LA-EA3, manual focus.

LA-EA3%20Crop_zpslq5t1fgn.

And the mis-autofocused results using the LA-EA4:

LA-EA4%20Crop_zpshgfd4hx1.

All in all, when you consider the amount of detail captured at this zoom range compared to the first picture shot at 50mm, and as a very amateur photographer, I couldn't be happier. Even better, I know I'll do better as I gain more experience with this lens. Hat tip to Tamron for this lens.