LA-EA3 vs. LA-EA4 with Tamron 150-600

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by starmite, Oct 14, 2015.

1. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I've read conflicting items regarding whether the LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 is the preferred adapter to use with the Tamron 150-600 A mount zoom on an A7ii. In the quest for knowledge, I picked up the LA-EA3 adapter so I could compare the results first hand (already have the LA-EA4). Thus far, I've concluded that better focus accuracy is possible using the LA-EA3 with manual focus, but I have much more experimenting and practice to do. No doubt autofocus will likely be better for moving objects, but it is possible to pull in a manual focus reasonably quickly with this lens.

My test was simple. Camera/lens mounted on a tripod. Target focus was the bright yellow leaves in the middle of the first image shown below (shot at 50mm with the FE28-70 lens). The 50mm image shows the relative capability of the Tamron to zoom at maximum focal length. In resizing the images to post here, the LA-EA3 example lost a fair amount of detail; it was actually much sharper than what's posted below.

fe2870%2050_1600_zpsocsoyocq.

This is the manual focus shot with focus peaking taken through the LA-EA3:

LA-EA3%20600_1600_zps15ppqztx.

Using the LA-EA4, with the lens set to autofocus, it seems clear that the camera focused slightly in front of the target yellow leaves:

LA-EA4%20600_600_zpscxjwqwhk.

I'm really pleased with the Tamron lens and look forward to gaining full mastery of it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Did some crops to better show the focus results. First, with the LA-EA3, manual focus.

LA-EA3%20Crop_zpslq5t1fgn.

And the mis-autofocused results using the LA-EA4:

LA-EA4%20Crop_zpshgfd4hx1.

All in all, when you consider the amount of detail captured at this zoom range compared to the first picture shot at 50mm, and as a very amateur photographer, I couldn't be happier. Even better, I know I'll do better as I gain more experience with this lens. Hat tip to Tamron for this lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.