LA-EA2 questions

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I received my LA-EA2 (bought new from a retailer) yesterday. I only have two old A-mount lenses, Sigma 12-24 (1st gen) and Tokina 28-70/2.8. The Tokina is not a very sharp lens and is pretty heavy, my main intent was to use LA-EA2 with Sigma as a cheap alternative to UWA (the Sigma was a gift, the cost of LA-EA2 is about he same as 16/2.8 with UWA adapter, and 1/4 cost of 10-18 ). The Sigma is a tricky lens to use, but is capable of decent shots, at least on the old KM7D I got it with.

The other goal was to use the adapter with some other A-mount lenses I may get in the future, for situations where native lenses may fall short, e.g. sports and video (object tracking).

Well there seems to be two problems.

First, while acquiring focus with my copy is very quick, there's a noticeable shutter lag. When I press the shutter, there's first a "clicking" sound and only then the photo is taken. This sounds like the mirror going up, except that in every DSLR I owned this happened instantly without a lag. Is this normal ? And if so, how do you manage to use LA-EA2 for action shots ?

Second, it's one noisy adapter. It's focusing mechanism sound is guaranteed to be picked up in video. Again, is this normal, and is there a workaround other than getting an external mike ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    No idea on the lag, but the noise is most likely because of the screw drive for the focus. But that's a guess.

3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, lag seems too be lens dependent - there's little lag with UWA, so not a big deal for now.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

4. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    The sound you hear may be the aperture stopping down right before the shutter fires. You have to remember these were the first generation AF lenses and they were clunky by todays standards. Also, check in your menu to see if the electronic first curtain shutter is enabled. The NEX has a mechanical and electronic first curtain shutter and you can choose which to use. There are trade off's to each, but the electronic first curtain shutter is faster. Maybe it defaulted back to the mechanical shutter when you added the adapter. I have the same adapter and use it with a Minolta AF 50/1.7 and 24/2.8. Dont have an issue with either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Yes, this may be the reason. Thanks.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free