1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

la-ea1 adapter vs la-ea2 adapter

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by elandel, Mar 8, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Hi,

I maybe have a chance to get some Sony A-mount lens (don't really know which ones yet) because a friend of mine is willing to get rid of some of his gear.

Question: which adapter is better? la-ea1 or la-ea2 but the latter is much more expensive. Are they compatible with all Sony lenses or only with some for AF?

The first I can get used in mint condition for 95 euros the second only new.

Which one would you suggest?

Thank you

2. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    The EA2 by far!!!! The EA2 is bigger and much more expensive. BUT, unless you plan on using the A mount lenses as manual focus lenses, I wouldn't get the EA1. The auto focus of A mount lenses is PAINFULLY slow with the EA1.

With the EA2, the NEX essentially becomes a Sony SLT camera. You will lose some light going to the sensor (just like in the SLT cameras), but the AF speed gains are well worth it.

3. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    By all means go with the v2. I had the v1 and it was only okay. The v2 works very well with all my old Minolta lens and is well worth it IMO.

4. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I have a few things to understand with these adapters. With the la-ea1will all a-mount lenses AF? or do I have to MF like I think I read somewhere.

My friend will give me the old 75-300 and the la-ea1 so that is the one I'll use for first on the Nex. Will it AF even if slowly (I'll use it for stills, so they won't run away:rolleyes: I guess). Will the older Minolta a-mount lens be compatible also for AF with this adapter?

5. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    I think most A mount lenses will AF on the EA1. But it's SLOWWWWWW ... Might want to check the Sony website about compatibility though.

On the other hand, because the EA1 has electronic connections with the camera body, a turn of the focus ring can automatically magnify the view when using manual focus. I found it very easy to manual focus the A mount version of the 50/1.8 using the EA1 adapter. This was at the store. I've never owned an EA1 adapter.

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I was wondering where these electronic adapters draw their power from to focus the A-mount lenses... if the NEX is the donor, would that drain the battery a lot quicker?

7. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Yes I think using these adapters drains battery and reduces battery life.

8. carlosdivega

carlosdivega New to TalkEmount

Feb 15, 2012
    Hi all
    the LA-EA1 won't af with the old Minolta lenses. The LA-EA1 is missing the AF drive. But the peaking function of the Nex helps a lot with manual focusing. Only A mount lenses with built AF drive will AF with the LA-EA1. I'm not missing AF on the LA-EA1. There is also no battery drain or light loss with the LA-EA1.

As stated before the LA-EA2 converts a Nex into an SLT camera
    . With all pros and cons.
    ;-) CarlosDiVega

9. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks for explaining. Can you tell what you mean by: "With all pros and cons." because I don't know much about SLT cameras.

10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome, carlos! :)

11. carlosdivega

carlosdivega New to TalkEmount

Feb 15, 2012
    Hi all
    thanks for the warm welcome.

Here the cons and pros for the LA-EA2:

Pro
    Fast AF for all A-mount lenses
    AF drive for "old" Minolta A-mount lenses included.
    Build in focusing motor with 15 AF points.

Con
    Less light reaching the sensor (approximately 1/3 EV).
    Color fringing /ghosting may occur with some lenses.

AE2-16-50

-:) Carlos Di Vega