1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kudos to Wasabi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WoodWorks, Apr 28, 2015.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I recently noticed that one of my two Wasabi batteries had become a little swollen, and since it was already more than two years old, decided to recycle it. But I figured that I'd contact the Wasabi vendor (Blue Nook) and let them know of the problem. After emailing them, Customer Service called me and offered to replace both of my batteries (purchased in December of 2012) for free. Today they arrived in the mail. I figured that since a lot of what we post here is about the negative interactions we have with some vendors, it would be nice to post something positive. As far as I'm concerned, Wasabi rocks! :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Nice to hear a positive customer service story for a change :).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Wasabi batteries are a bargain, and I've always been impressed by Blue Nook. They are also prompt. I've talked about batteries and Blue Nook previously:

http://www.billdanby.com/search?q=Nook

• Like Like x 2
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree that the vendor reacted gracefully, but you got kind of lucky in detecting the swelling while the battery was outside your camera. I just wonder what Wasabi would have done if your camera got damaged due to a swollen battery? And for that matter, I'd also be curious what Sony would do in case if it would have been one of their batteries outside a warranty period (if there is any for a battery, I don't know).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Actually, I did notice the swelling while the battery was inside the camera, because it didn't just pop out when I opened the battery door. :eek-30:

Fortunately the swelling was minor, and I was able to pry it out without having to resort to any tools other than my stubby fingers. But yeah, had it been really stuck, I bet I would have been really stuck too. :dash2:

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I must be getting old, making wrong assumptions all the time :eek:. I read stories of third-party batteries swelling every now and then, it's one of the reasons I have stuck with original Sony batteries, so far I've not seen problems reported with those. However, due to their retail price I bought all of my spares second-hand for prices around 25 euros.

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I think the problem with the third party batteries is the mixed results, even from the same suppliers.

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Very cool of Blue Nook.
    Hmmm, but what does that say about Wasabi batteries? Poor quality control? Ad hit on something....a reason not to charge batteries inside the camera. (ie. a6000).

9. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Ad asks some important questions. I hope I don't get a chance to answer them from experience.

I always charge my batteries out of the cameras and I'll be sure not to let a camera sit with the same battery for an extended period without checking. I'll be watching for swelling.

I've used the Wasabi's for some time and I guess I'm lucky to report I haven't had any swelling. I did have one die on me the other day. I wasn't sure how old it was, so I started marking all new batteries with the dates I get them to be able to know if I have premature failure.

Thanks for the post, David

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Just an update. In the dpreview forums (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54618813) Mel Snyder suggests a test for swelling that seems reasonable to me:
    1. Place your battery label down on a very flat surface, like a glass or formica table
    2. With your index finger on one long side, and your thumb on the other, try to rock the battery from side to side. It should not be rock-able - not even a little.
    I'll be doing this as a matter of course.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Just to add to the details of my particular case: the battery had just finished charging in the camera when I noticed the swelling. From now on, I'll be charging my Wasabi batteries in their included charger.

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very good customer service nevertheless and very informative thread about the swelling batteries issue :thumbsup:

13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Just noticed one of my Wasabi batteries not sliding easily out of the camera. Sure enough: it's bulging slightly. (I always charge with the Wasabi charger & didn't notice anything putting the battery in.)
    That's good of them to offer a replacement.
    That said, I got mine in 2012 and feel I've gotten more than my money's worth.

• Like Like x 1